Name: Todd & Tonie Dunaway
Location: Fortuna, California
Size: 2,850 square feet
Years lived in: 6 — owned
When I first entered the Dunaway's home I fell in love with the extremely high ceilings, open floor plan and rich, warm colors. Tonie and Todd have drawn a lot of inspiration from their many journeys throughout California's Sonoma and Napa Valley. Their local business requires a lot of travel all over the country, but it's the look, colors, and feel of the wineries a few hours south that have really influenced them.
This is the second home they've designed and built from scratch, so they'd learned a lot from their first venture and knew exactly what they wanted this time around. They may eventually convert their third story attic into an art studio for Todd, but said that's a project for a different day. They've worked so hard on the first two floors that they just want to enjoy the space without thinking about more construction—at least for a little while.
The home is a reflection of their taste and personalities, but as they've said, it's also constantly evolving and changing. Some of their favorite pieces have come from old architectural salvage yards, flea markets, antique stores and yard sales. They have fun hunting for those one of a kind treasures and repurposing things to add to the mix. They've really enjoyed the process of creating a place they love coming home to.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Eclectic/French Country Inspired
Inspiration: California Wine Country
Favorite Element: Many of the unique one of a kind finds we have.
Biggest Challenge: Ceiling Height
What Friends Say: "Wow, so cozy! You've got a flair for this. Where did you get...?"
Biggest Embarrassment: We just aren't easily embarrassed by anything. We love our home the way it is.
Proudest DIY: The master bathroom.
Biggest Indulgence: Recent dining area mirror purchase.
Best Advice: Just be unique and look for one of a kind items that you love.
Dream Sources: Restoration Hardware, Chateau Sonoma, Cokas Diko, Antiques By The Bay (A monthly antique fair in Alameda, CA with over 500 vendors).
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Exterior - Kelly Moore: Siver Oak Winery Brown (We saw this in Sonoma County on th eSiver Oak Winery and asked them what it was. They graciously gave us the specific information, and we used the same custom blend)
• Kitchen/Living/Master Bedroom - Pittsburg: Bronco Brown
• Dining Room - Pittsburg: Pizza Pie
• Upstairs Bedrooms - Pittsburg: Almond
- • Armoire & Bookcases: Dark stained Mexican Pine from Santa Fe, New Mexico
- • Dining Table: Old Wormwood Pine found at a Home & Garden supply shop in Sonoma County
- • Cabinetry: Custom made of rare Peruvian Alder with a custom stain/whitewash finish and bun feet for a furniture appearance.
• Pot Rack: a piece commissioned from an artist in Mendocino, California
• Viking Range & Refrigerator
• Floor Length Mirror: Cokas Dikos
- • Shabby Chic Bedroom Set
- • White Cabinet: 100 year old salvaged kitchen cabinet from a neighboring Victorian Era home--used for storage of towels and bath accessories.
• Tin Art above the tub: old tin ceiling tiles framed with salvaged baseboards (Todd's handiwork).
Thanks, Todd, Tonie, Taren & Brooke!
Images: Kate Stockman
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.