The Fall Cure: Getting Into the Thick of It
• Cure Clock: 4 weeks to go
• Assignment: Read Week 5: Getting Into The Thick of It
• Members: 1,735 (closed now)
Yesterday, Sara, Ursula and I took a bit of a day off our Cure to join nearly thirty Apartment Therapy readers as we walked from Coney Island to Battery Park. It was sort of a day off, but it was also a cure of a different sort.
In what has become an annual event, we walked over 15 miles from Coney Island to Battery Park with a group of friends, acquaintances and strangers (who became friends by the end). The goal? Simply to walk all the way and to experience New York neighborhood by neighborhood.
While the Cure is really about getting to know your home better, this walk is similar in that it is getting to know our bigger home better: our city.
We’ve walked the entire length of Broadway five times and now we’ve walked across Brooklyn once. Each time we walk it’s completely eye opening, heart warming and the cheapest fun we’ve ever had. Not only is it unusual to walk all day with a large group of folks and get to know one another, it’s unusual to walk through so many neighborhoods (homes, really) and get a little closer to where people actually live. It stretches our understanding of our city and puts us in better touch with our neighbors farther afield.
It’s a refresher and a cure for the encrusted habits of spending so much time within the daily habit-trail of work/home/gym experience.
This is what we’re also after in our own home during these eight weeks.
Aside from the walk, I did accomplish a bit on my own home during the past week and I am poised for more. Right now I am in the midst of ordering:
• One new Lyon metal stool for the kitchen from C&H Distributors, because Ursula has outgrown her Metoo seat – see Best Simple Backless High Stools
• One big piece of industrial felt for a headboard from Sutherland Felt (looking at black and grey samples) – see How To: Create With Felt
• Two pieces of round thick cut glass to go on top of our Frosta stools (which will be painted) as new side tables – see Painting IKEA’s Frosta Stool
With these purchases, I will be in a position to finish off the headboard area of our bedroom, which I’ve been thinking about for two years. Oh, and there’s one more thing. Sara wants to buy one set of colorful new sheets. I’ll dive into that NEXT week.
Where are you at?
TODAY’S COMMENT QUESTION
If you were to paint a room in the next year, would you consider looking for less toxic paints? Why? Why not?
• Week 4 – Show & Tell with Laure
• Week 4 – Tips & Tricks with Susie
• Week 4 – Intro with Maxwell
• Week 3 – Show & Tell with Abby
• Week 3 – Tips and Tricks with Sarah Rae
• Week 2 – Show & Tell with Abby
• Week 2 – Tips & Tricks with Susie
• Week 2 – Introduction with Maxwell
• Week 1 – Show & Tell with Laure
• Week 1 – Tips & Tricks with Sarah Rae
• Week 1 – Creating Your Vision with Maxwell
• Green Cure