Location: Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
Style: Classic Brooklyn Brownstone
We just finished the first of our five Inside Man makeovers with Valspar Paint. In little more than five weeks, my amazing team has helped me put together a really beautiful room for David that's chic but manly. Check out all the before and afters below the jump (including links to a full slideshow) and get inspired!
DAVID'S BROOKLYN BROWNSTONE PALETTE
David's palette is inspired by a man's gray flannel suit, and is the darkest choice of the five rooms. Gray is a very stylish and overlooked color choice for men (as well as women), and I love the way it makes his traditional room really pop to attention.
• London Coach 4002-1B (classic gray on the walls)
• Modest Silver 4002-1A (just a shade lighter on the fireplace)
• Dove White 7002-07 (a crisp off-white on the trim)
David's living room before
Crucial to this makeover was centering the sofa, anchoring the setting with a good rug that would provide contrast, and finding art that would emphasize the great shape of the room.
David's living room after
The Man and His Room. I didn't ask David to get himself all dressed up for the final shoot, he just did it naturally, and doesn't this pic look fabulous?
David sent me an email with his thoughts about the new room. He says, "When I first thought of a gray room, I thought it would be very dark; after having pure white walls for so long I thought it would be a huge shock. But the gray works, and even prior to the room being fitted with shelves and other niceties, the paint made the room feel more enjoyable and less like a transient's way point."
"I really like the Larson chair. It's comfortable but also isn't imposing in the room. And I like the planters (which the stylist painted with London Coach 4002-1B and Modest Silver 4002-1A). They subtly match the walls and don't draw attention to themselves."
"I'll use the room more for entertaining then I had before, especially now that people feel more comfortable in the space and my bike isn't the main focal point. The whole process was fun; I really like the room and how it's still pretty minimal but is much more welcoming."
The dresser above is from New York thrift store Housing Works, but we painted it with Modest Silver for a little more style. There are a number of surprising places that we added a coat of paint to personalize the room a bit more. See if you can find them.
A special thank-you to our painter, Mark Chamberlain, for his excellent work. And a HUGE thank you to our incredible stylist, Joe Maer, and our photographer, Jim Franco, who really helped us bring the final layers of style and detail to David's room.
- All paint courtesy of Valspar Paint
- Shelves — Elfa shelving from the Container Store
- Curtains & rods — West Elm
- Rug — ABC Carpet & Home
- Sofa — David's from West Elm
- Sheepskin, black & white pillow, and gray pillow — IKEA
- Blue pillow — Crate & Barrel Outlet
- Gray shag pillow — CB2
- Coffee table — David's dad made it
- Black lamp — IKEA
- Silver lamp — David's, with a new shade from Target
- Square and round planters — Jamali Garden, updated with Valspar Paint London Coach 4002-1B
- Additional planters — IKEA, updated with Valspar Paint Modest Silver 4002-1A
- Dresser — Housing Works, updated with Valspar Paint Modest Silver 4002-1A
- Mirror — Housing Works, updated with Valspar Paint Modest Silver 4002-1A
- Gray table lamp — CB2
- Larson chair — White on White
- Artwork — IKEA, found maps, and handmade drawings
- All frames — IKEA
- Mat board — Pearl Paint
- Acrylic magazine butler — Container Store
- Acrylic side table — Target
- Artwork — IKEA, found maps, and original drawings
- Red pouf — CB2
- Logs — painted with Valspar Paint London Coach 4002-1B
- Books and accessories — David's
- Skateboard — David's from Homage in Brooklyn
ABOUT THE INSIDE MAN
We've teamed up with Valspar Paint to create The Inside Man, a special feature dedicated to daily (Monday — Friday) posts from Apartment Therapy and GQ about men's color conundrums and style questions. From sofas with cup holders to brilliant bachelor pads, we're focusing on the décor dilemmas men often bring to us.
MORE FROM THE INSIDE MAN
• David's Blogger Brownstone: Phase 3 - The Progress Report
• David's Blogger Brownstone: Phase 2 - The Prescription
• David's Blogger Brownstone: Phase 1 - Local Inspiration
• Read more about guy style at theinsideman.apartmenttherapy.com.
• Check out GQ's guide to guy style at gq.com/theinsideman.
Photos: Jim Franco