The Greenest Thumb! Contest: Carol and Martin’s Vibrant Vertical
(Note: This is a wonderful late entry)
Name: Carol and Martin
Location: Hoboken, New Jersey
Size: 12′ x 14′ plus 5′ x 10′
“Our L-shaped deck overlooks some of the beautiful trees and backyard gardens in Hoboken, providing a great background for an outdoor living space where we can escape from the stresses of city life.
We find that vertical gardening makes the most of our limited space and provides much needed privacy – as what we have done with vines growing on tuteurs that we constructed from bamboo and garden twine.
….” [more below]
Our container garden is a collection of : vines (honeysuckle, clematis, boston ivy, trumpet creeper, purple hyacinth bean, black-eyed susan, hummingbird vine, vinca, golden hop, silver lace, passion flower), tropical plants (elephant ears, cannas, banana), hostas, coleus, herbs (lavander, thyme, sage, mint, basil), strawberries, tomato, jalapeno, rose of sharon, busy lizzies, forget-me-nots, and an un-identified silver-green-leafed deciduous tree which we inherited from the previous owner.
• Union Square Farmers Market
Various online stores:
• www.waysidegardens.com (plants)
• http://lazyssfarm.com/ (plants)
• www.plantdelights.com (plants)
• www.gardeners.com (garden supplies)
• Whole Foods (seeds in packets)
• Crate and Barrel (teak furniture)
• Pier 1 Imports (wicker chairs)
• Our neighbor, Alex, who has been giving us “extra” plants from her garden