The Proximity Hotel: The First LEED Platinum Hotel
The Proximity Hotel has an extensive list of reasons they’re green – here’s a small sample of the more than 70+ sustainable practices of the Proximity Hotel, including a regenerative elevator!
- 41% less energy through new and innovative building practices.
- 100 solar panels cover the 4,000 sq. ft of rooftop.
- Salvaged, solid walnut trees which were fell by sickness or storm used in the restaurant.
- New variable speed restaurant hoods automatically vary power settings based on the kitchens needs.
- Geothermal energy used for kitchen refrigerators.
- 700 linear feet of stream was restored by reducing erosion, planting local, adaptable plant species and rebuilding the buffers and banks. Approximately 700 cubic yards of soil was removed to create a floodplain bench. And 376 tons of boulders and 18 logs were used to maintain grade control, dissipate energy and assist in the creation and maintenance of riffles and pools.
- Regenerative Drive Elevator (North America’s first) captures system energy and feeds it back into the building’s electrical grid.
- Natural lighting, with large energy-efficient operable windows connects 97% of all regularly occupied space to the outdoors.
- Building materials with recycled content: steel with 90% post consumer recycled content, sheetrock 100%, asphalt 25% and staircase steel 50%.
- 87% of construction waste was recycled, diverting 1,535 tons of debris from landfills.
- Water usage has been reduced by 33% by installing high-efficiency plumbing fixtures
- Regional vendors and artists were used for materials to reduce transportation and packaging.
- Low-emitting volatile organic compound (VOC) paints, adhesives, carpets, etc.
- Guestroom shelving and the bistro’s tabletops are made of walnut veneer, over a substrate of SkyBlend, a particleboard made from 100% post-industrial recycled wood pulp with no added formaldehyde.
- A green, vegetated rooftop will be planted on the restaurant.
- “Education Center” for sustainable practices includes tours of our “green” hotel for guests, sustainable practices symposia, and outreach programs for students of all ages.
- Bicycles are available for guests to ride on the nearby five-mile greenway.
Read more about the hotel at the Proximity Hotel Web site.