Our weekly list of carefully curated sales and events can help you no matter where you live. Click below for our massive list of deals at national retailers, local floor sample and warehouse sales, seasonal flea markets, not-to-be-missed museum exhibitions, showhouses and home & design-centric lectures and discussions. Pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Thos. Moser Lounge Seating Sale Throughout April sofas, wing chairs, club chairs, ottomans and the entire lounge seating collection from Thos. Moser will be 15% off, including pieces from the popular American Bungalow, Pasadena and Vita collections.
Online and in showrooms
• LZF Sale Save 30% on LZF's award-winning pendant, wall and desk lights at YLighting and also enjoy free shipping.
• Sylvester & Co Spring Sale Save 20% off all Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams orders.
• Marburger Farm Antique Show The Marburger Farm Antique Show has been a favorite source for antiques for more than a dozen years. This outdoor show features more than 350 dealers from across the United States and the world. The 43 acre field boasts ten large tents and 12 historic buildings offering an extraordinary range of antiques including architectural, English, Continental, Asian, industrial, garden, Americana, painted furniture, fine art, early Texas, mid century modern, French, silver, jewelry, textiles, paintings and prints.
Marburger Farm Antique Show | 2248 South Highway 237, Round Top, Texas 78954
3/29 - 4/2
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Casting for HGTV's Bang For Your Buck Are you a passionately crazy fan of HGTV?!? Do you longingly watch each HGTV show secretly fantasizing that one day HGTV will come to your home? Your wait is over…HGTV's Bang For your Buck is coming to Boston and they're looking for upbeat and fun people/families who have renovated their own homes. If interested, send an email explaining why you deserve to be on Bang For Your Buck and include a couple of pictures and the estimated cost of the renovation. APPLY
• John Brooks: A Collaboration with Nature An exhibition of forty works by the nationally recognized New Hampshire sculptor and furniture maker.
Currier Museum of Art | 150 Ash Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
• What Style Is It and Why? Residential Architecture in Chicago Discover Chicago's vernacular residential architecture–bungalows, raised ranches, 2-flats, American foursquares–in addition to more famous landmarks of Romanesque Revival, Queen Anne, and Italianate styles. The lecture will also explore how and when the four big traditions of American residential architecture developed. Learn how your home's design is a reflection of both its time and location in the city. REGISTER
Chicago Architecture Foundation | 224 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60604
4/9: 9am - 12pm
• Morlen Sinoway Atelier Sample Sale Shop early for the best selection as the early bird gets the worm. Up to 70% off on selected items, including furniture, area rugs, home and personal accessories!
Morlen Sinoway Atelier | 1052 West Fulton Market, Chicago, Illinois 60607
4/1 - 4/15
• Spring Folk Art Classes The April 2011 lineup of classes at Three Sisters Folk Art School features fun weekend-long workshops in woodcarving, rug hooking, sewing, jewelry making, and more! If you are looking for a relaxing get-away or want to learn a new skill, register for a weekend of craftsmanship, fellowship, and fun in the country. REGISTER
//www.threesistersfolkartschool.com/default.aspx | 17189 North Route 29, Chillicothe, Illinois 61523
April 15 - 17
• ForumFest 2011 The Los Angeles Forum for Architecture and Urban Design is pleased to announce the return of ForumFest! The night's activities will include building tours led by the architects; a silent book auction that will feature signed architectural monographs as well as Forum Portfolio 2, which includes artists such as Catherine Opie, and will also include a Verner Panton chair donated by Vitra; cocktails, as well as food provided by Bling Bling Dumpling and Fruit and Flour; and finally, the announcement of a new annual event to honor the memory of our friend, former board member John Chase. Tom Schnabel of KCRW will DJ the event. TICKETS
St. Thomas the Apostle School | 2632 West 15th Street, Los Angeles, California 90006
4/2: 7:30pm - 10:30pm
• Cloud Noir Spring Art Sale Take 20% off all contemporary art in the store.
Cloud Noir | 8044 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
• Colcha Spring Sale Come in and see the new spring collections and enjoy a savings of 20% off. Also enjoy 20% savings on all textiles.
Colcha | 1416 Abbot Kinney, Venice, California 90291
• Rock, Paper, Scissors: Paper Craft Workshop The rock, paper, scisors workshop series will explore 5 traditional materials – paper, wood, cement, metal and glass – with the intention of uncovering latent possibilities due to developments in manufacturing and fabrication technologies. Each workshop will consist of an introduction to the historical methodologies involved with these materials, followed by an analysis of the paradigm shifts that have led to a reevaluation of materiality as an active and performative player in product development. Following the introduction, in a hands-on laboratory, each participant will explore diverse and novel techniques to transform the given material toward the creation of an independent product prototype. Taught by Aaron Neubert. REGISTER
Ilan Dei Studio | 2100 Zeno Place, Venice, California 90291
4/7: 6pm - 9pm
4/14: 6pm - 9pm
• Living with Art by Azadeh Shladovsky Azadeh Shladovsky introduces a limited-edition, sculptural furniture collection, Living with Art. This collection explores Shladovsky's unique relationship with nature and highlights her ability to create powerful expressions that are as beautiful as they are functional. In her work, Shladovsky uses nature and its processes as a guide, both in how each piece is formed and how it is perceived.
Ruth Bachofner Gallery | 2525 Michigan Avenue, Suite G2, Santa Monica, California 90404
• Frank Lloyd Wright: Organic Architecture for the 21st Century Experience over 150 objects designed by "America's greatest architect," Frank Lloyd Wright. Featuring thirty-three never-before-shown drawings by the Wisconsin legend, as well as rare home movies, see the man you thought you knew in a whole new light.
Milwaukee Art Museum | 700 North Art Museum Drive, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
• SURevolution Sample Sale The SURevolution sample sale will take place at its showroom in Soho, and prices will be up to 70% off (starting at just $10!) for its globally-inspired bracelets, earrings, and luxe accessories for the home. SURevolution designs modern accessories that are handcrafted by artisan entrepreneurs around the world. The company helps to set up stable economies in these areas of the world - with the single goal of alleviating poverty. So, you'll not only be shopping a serious sale – you'll also be doing good.
SURevolution | 197 Grand Street, Loft 6S, Bbuzzer: 62, New York, New York 10013
4/1: 10am - 8pm
4/2: 10am - 2pm
• DWR Annex Warehouse Sale Take an additional 20% off already drastically reduced DWR Outlet prices on furniture, lighting, accessories and more. Our inventory includes overstock, customer returns and scratch-and-dent items.
DWR Annex | 55 Hartz Way #19, Secaucus, New Jersey 07094
4/2: 10am - 6pm
4/3: 10am - 6pm
• Property Bi-annual Sale Take 20% off all new orders and save up to 60% on floor models and samples.
Property | 14 Wooster Street, New York, New York 10013
• Charles P. Rogers Showroom Sale Charles P. Rogers, NYC based bed making company, is hosting a sale at their showroom. Big savings on select beds.
Charles P. Rogers | 55 West 17th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Interieurs Tent Sale Fine furniture, antiques, lighting and accessories will be up to 90% off. Plus, all standards collections will be 10% off.
Interieurs | 228 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022
4/2 - 4/9
• Doyle+Design Auction The Doyle+Design auction features Modern and Contemporary furniture, decorations and art by some of the most prominent designers, makers and artists of the 20th and 21st centuries. Among the highlights are a pair of steel busts by Franz Hagenauer and works by Norman Bluhm and Georges Braque. Of special note is property from the New York apartment of renowned interior designer Larry Laslo, featuring furnishings by Mr. Laslo, Tommi Parzinger and Pedro Friedeberg.
Doyle New York | 175 East 87th Street, New York, New York 10128
Public Exhibition: 4/9 - 4/11
Auction: 4/12: 10am
• M&M Design Spring Floor Sale Decorate your floor with a one of a kind designer rug from our unique collections – Missoni, first edition Niba, Gene Meyer, Dakota Jackson, Adam Tihany, M&M Collections and many more – with prices up to 75% off list.
M&M Gallery | 226 Westbury Avenue, Carle Place, New York 11514
• Patrick Jouin: From Kitchen to Table @ MAD The first solo exhibition at an American museum of the work of this prolific 42-year-old French designer.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle, New York, New York 10019
• Tim Groen Solo Exhibition Ivy Brown Gallery is pleased to announce artist/designer Tim Groen's second solo exhibition with the gallery. Using captions that clarify illustrations in books, Tim Groen has been creating an ongoing series of collages, titled "Captions." Hand cutting each letter, using a font based on a 19th century wood type, he mounts the descriptive texts on identically sized boards.
Ivy Brown Gallery | 675 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10014
3/3 - 4/22
• Kalatay Closing Clearance In celebration of the retirement of Mirza A. Kalaty, Kalaty Rug Corp. will open its private showroom to the public for the first time. You'll find savings between 50% and 75% off original prices of the company's vast collection of the finest quality Oriental rugs.
Kalatay | 443 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10016
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Philbrook Museum of Art's American Streamlined Design Exhibition Philbrook Museum of Art will open American Streamlined Design: The World of Tomorrow, focusing on a design era that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s, characterized by curving forms, and smooth, clean silhouettes. Over 185 objects in diverse new materials, from Bakelite to stainless steel, are organized thematically around the spheres of American life in the 1930s-50s: the office and workroom, the living room, kitchen, and bath, recreation and transportation. A final section, Streamlining Now, looks at how streamlining still affects design today.
Philbrook Musuem of Art | 2727 South Rockford Road, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114
• Vastu Floor Sample Sale Midcity furniture retailer, Vastu, is holding their annual floor sample sale. Sofas, occasional chairs, tables, beds and dressers will be on sale for up to 50% off.
Vastu | 1829 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
• Orchids: A View From the East Orchids have been a part of Chinese culture for many centuries, permeating Chinese history, legends, literature and art. Since ancient times, orchids have been celebrated in China for their beauty and fragrance, and appreciated as symbols of nobility, friendship and refinement. The exhibition reflects
these themes and introduces visitors to long-standing traditions and contemporary trends in Chinese orchid culture.
Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History | 10th Street and Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC 20560
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
Send it to us. We publish every week: