Making plans for the weekend? We've got you covered. Whether you are up for some bargain hunting, flea marketing or are looking for an inspiring exhibition, you're sure to find something of interest in our weekly list of carefully curated sales and events. Check it out, pass it on and send us your sale or event.
NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Unison Sale Further markdowns! 50-75% off with Free Shipping.
• Corona Outdoor Furniture Sale Just in time for summer, Modani Furniture has lowered the price on one its most popular outdoor sets, the Coronado Outdoor sectional. Made of synthetic rattan which is weather, bug and sun resistant, it has comfortable cushions that have replaceable cushion covers in multiple colors.
Online and in stores
• Thos. Moser Lounge Seating Sale Throughout April sofas, wing chairs, club chairs, ottomans and the entire lounge seating collection from Thos. Moser will be 15% off, including pieces from the popular American Bungalow, Pasadena and Vita collections.
Online and in showrooms
• Lightology ET2 Sale 10% off all ET2, including pendants, chandeliers, bathroom lighting, table lamps, wall sconces and more. Plus, 10% off select outdoor lighting from Hinkley.
• Henry Road Clearance Massive clearance sale on all table cloths and runners and a whole heap of pillows. Up to 70% off while supplies last.
• LZF Sale Save 30% on LZF's award-winning pendant, wall and desk lights at YLighting and also enjoy free shipping.
• Faucet Direct Sale Incredible sales on Moen, Kohler, and Hansgrohe, just in time for remodeling season.
• Variegated Online Pop-Up Shop Deep discounts on one-of-a-kind and limited-edition handmade linen pillows and sachets by Brooklyn-based textile studio Variegated.
• Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Sale During the special order plus event save 20% on special order upholstery. Seclect from 450+ frame and 300+ fabrics and leathers (or use your own). Plus, save 20% on all tables/storage, rugs, lighting & accessories.
• Sylvester & Co Spring Sale Save 20% off all Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams orders.
• Shade Store Drapery Sale Save 10% on all custom drapery styles, with decorative hardware available. All orders ship within 10 days.
• Studio North Design Sale Spring is in the air! Studio North Design celebrates with 25% off all home accessories.
• The "That's So Potted" Contest Show off your favorite container planting and you could win a $500 Shopping Spree at Potted. If you shop at Potted, you know how much they love to plant containers. They thought it would be cool to see what you all came up with so they are holding their first contest ever. Open to anyone in the Continental US.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• New England Wood Event Buy one piece of hardwood furniture from New England and save 20% on a second piece of equal or lesser value.
Circle Furniture | 199 Alewife Brook Parkway, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
• RISD Alumni Spring Art Sale The sale will feature work from RISD alumni in all areas of work including jewelry, textiles, ceramics, glass, paintings, prints, drawings, apparel and accessories, stationary, and all medium in between! Local bands will play throughout the day and there will an art making space on Frazier Terrace.
Rhode Island School of Design | 2 College Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02903
4/30: 10am - 4pm
• John Brooks: A Collaboration with Nature An exhibition of forty works by the nationally recognized New Hampshire sculptor and furniture maker.
Currier Museum of Art | 150 Ash Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
• SoWa Vintage Market The SoWa Vintage Market, run by co-creators, Stephanie Pernice + John Warren is back every Sunday through October. 30-40 vendors of vintage furnishings, art, decor, fashion, accessories, mid century, modern, glamour vintage + designer items for home + wardrobe gather weekly inside a historic brick warehouse in Boston's South End.
SoWa Vintage Market | 460C Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
5/1 - 10/30: 10am - 4pm
• After Hours at Robie House This is your last chance to take in Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House during the April After Hours event. Gather with friends as the Robie House comes to life after hours. Wander the celebrated spaces of this icon of modernism while enjoying live music, drinks, light hors d'oeuvres and a festive, casual atmosphere. TICKETS
Robie House | 5757 South Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637
4/29: 5pm - 8pm
• Urbanest Store Closing Sale Andersonville's Urbanest is closing their store and moving to an online format. Take 20-40% of all furniture.
Urbanest | 5212 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60640
• International Antiques Fair Running in conjunction with Artroprolis, this is the Midwest's premier exhibition of fine art and antiques. Shop for antiques, hear guest speakers, and take in a design consultation. Also check out the Designer Vignettes, with three stunning vignettes on the show floor showcasing antiques blended with contemporary furnishings. While you're at the Merchandise Mart, also check out the Art Chicago, the international fair of contemporary and modern art, and NEXT, the invitational exhibit of emerging art.
Merchandise Mart | 222 West Merchandise Mart Plaza, Chicago, Illinois 60654
4/29 - 5/2
• The Spring Show The lively mix of artists in the atrium of Architectural Artifacts reopens your eyes after the slushy grays of Chicago winter. Jewelry, painting, ceramics, textiles, paper goods and much more will be included in this alternative juried show at this landmark location. There will be over 60 artist participating, so there will be many options for Mother's day gifts. The Spring Show will also feature a silent auction of items donated by participating artists. Proceeds from the auction will be donated to Zepher Dance, an arts partner at Holstein Park.
Architectural Artifacts | 4325 North Ravenswood, Chicago, Illinois 60613
5/1: 10am - 5pm
• LA Mart Spring Sample Sale The furniture and home furnishings showrooms of L.A. Mart Design Center will open their doors to the public for savings of up to 70%. High-quality furniture, rugs, lighting, art, and home accessories of all styles will be featured. From modern to transitional to traditional to eclectic to European inspired styles, this sale that has something for every home aficionado, even outdoor furniture for spring/summer. Free design consultations with interior designer Brittany Styles are available by appointment on a first-come, first-served basis.
LA Mart Design Center | 1933 South Broadway, Los Angeles, California 90007
4/29 - 5/1
• 55th Annual Art & Architecture Tour Docents will provide unique details of each home's art and architecture and four homes will be featured on all tours; a A true Paul Williams colonial juxtaposed against cutting-edge contemporary art; an original John Byers home meticulously restored to its original perfection by a contemporary architect and highlighting a Japanese photography collection; a prime example of California rustic contemporary architecture featuring collections of modern art, glass, sports memorabilia, and antiques; a spectacular 1930s Mediterranean estate meticulously restored to its original grandeur. Included is a special project boutique featuring unique sculpture, ceramics, and jewelry. Choose from five tour packages. TICKETS
Los Angeles County Museum of Art | 5905 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Mother's Day Events at Paper or Plastik Cafe The Anyash Design & Gift Shop aims to be an extension of the artistic hub that is Paper or Plastik Café and the adjacent performance & events space, Mimoda Studio. In recognition of mothers everywhere, the gift shop will host a week-long celebration of Mother's Day. Join us for Prosecco & Dessert with our jewelry collector & resident Mom, Anya Michelson. Learn to make living plant terrariums that add tremendous life to any room. Make one as a gift to mom or take your creation home with you.
Paper or Platik Cafe | 5772 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90019
5/2 - 58
• Mortise & Tenon Floor Model Sale Giant floor model sale to make room for the new summer collections. Save 15% to 50% on handcrafted furniture.
Mortise & Tenon | 446 South La Brea, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Frank Lloyd Wright: Organic Architecture for the 21st Century Experience over 150 objects designed by "America's greatest architect," Frank Lloyd Wright. Featuring thirty-three never-before-shown drawings by the Wisconsin legend, as well as rare home movies, see the man you thought you knew in a whole new light.
Milwaukee Art Museum | 700 North Art Museum Drive, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
• Screwball Spaces Open Studio Weekend Over 70 artists will open their studios to the public. Paintings, drawings, photography, sculpture, mixed media and a few things that defy categorization will be on view. Everyone is sure to see something that piques interest, provokes responses and enlightens. Visitors can engage in lively conversations with the artists and get an insider's look at artists in their working environments.
Screwball Spaces | 183 Lorraine Street, 3rd Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11231
4/30 - 5/1: 12pm - 6pm
• Mid Century Modern Sale 10% off all lamps and 25% off select furniture at I Like Mike's.
I Like Mike's Mid Century Modern | 161 Decatur Street, Brooklyn, New York 11216
4/30 - 5/1
• Spring Cleaning Furniture Show Art Since the Summer of '69 presents Spring Cleaning, a project built around Adam Shopkorn's paper recycling plexi cube tables. Shopkorn's tables are plexi box cubes filled with shredded paper material in different colors and patterns; we invite visitors to bring in their own recyclable paper to be shredded in the space by Shopkorn and his assistants during the duration of the show.
Art Since the Summer of '69 | 195 Chrystie Street #303, New York, New York 10002
• Jensen-Lewis Spring Clearance Event Jensen-Lewis is heavily discounting new and old stock and floor model samples to allow space for the introduction of new collections. Products from American Leather, Gamma, Incanto, Calligaris, Natuzzi Italy, Creative Elegance, Jesse and more will be on display and priced to move between 30 and 70% off. Over 50 pieces will be available at a deep discount for this limited time clearance event at the 7th Avenue location.
Jensen-Lewis | 89 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10011
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House The most high profile renovation project in the country will take up residence in an Upper East Side mansion. The striking, neo-Federalist style residence was once owned by John Hay "Jock" Whitney and boasts unique historic details acquired during his travels abroad. Each of the 16 rooms in the four-story, 10,000-square-foot mansion will delight design enthusiasts and anyone looking for decorating inspiration. TICKETS
Whitney Residence | 163 East 63rd Street, New York, New York 10065
• Vitsoe Exhibition: 60's 606 is 50 Designed back in 1960 by a 28-year-old Dieter Rams, the 606 Universal Shelving System has achieved an important milestone: 50 years of continuous production by Vitsoe. In celebration, the NY Vitsoe Shop will have a month long exhibition on display called "60's 606 is 50". The exhibition includes rare examples of the shelving system and how it has evolved over time. These piece are juxtaposed with the shelving system of today to show differences of detail but also that it is very much the same species.
Vitsoe Shop | 33 Bond Street, New York, New York 10012
5/2 - 5/28
• Kalatay Closing Clearance In celebration of the retirement of Mirza A. Kalaty, Kalaty Rug Corp. will open its private showroom to the public for the first time. You'll find savings between 50% and 75% off original prices of the company's vast collection of the finest quality Oriental rugs.
Kalatay | 443 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10016
• Stephen Burks: Man Made Stephen Burks: Man Made is The Studio Museum's first-ever industrial design exhibition and Stephen's first solo show in New York City, and features a unique project that furthers the industrial designer's ongoing exploration of the global economy of artisanal craft.
The Studio Museum | 144 West 125th Street, New York, New York 10027
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Cisco Home Sofa Sale Any sofa off the floor is discounted 20% and get 10% off on special orders.
• Philbrook Museum of Art's American Streamlined Design Exhibition Philbrook Museum of Art will open American Streamlined Design: The World of Tomorrow, focusing on a design era that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s, characterized by curving forms, and smooth, clean silhouettes. Over 185 objects in diverse new materials, from Bakelite to stainless steel, are organized thematically around the spheres of American life in the 1930s-50s: the office and workroom, the living room, kitchen, and bath, recreation and transportation. A final section, Streamlining Now, looks at how streamlining still affects design today.
Philbrook Musuem of Art | 2727 South Rockford Road, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114
• Chat-boards Sale Enjoy a 10% discount on all in stock chat-boards at Furniture From Scandinavia by Annette Rachlin. Chat-boards are stylish magnetic glass memo boards made in Denmark that you can write on with a dry erase marker. Choose from several sizes and colors in stock.
Furniture From Scandinavia | 1531 33rd Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
4/29 - 4/30
• Sukio's Royal Wedding Sale Sukio has jumped on the Royal Wedding bandwagon, except this wagon is more like a party bus! Join them for a weekend of discounted shopping, along with a few surprises, to commemorate Britain's newest royal couple. It's also the perfect time to plan for Mother's Day because Sukio's collection of home accessories offers the perfect gift for the Queen Mum in your life!
Sukio | 1712 14th ST NW, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20009
4/29 - 5/1
• Bravos Groundbreaking Spanish Design Bravos introduces American audiences to new works by some of the most talented and successful young Spanish industrial designers living today. The exhibition features 21 designers from throughout Spain, including internationally renowned Jaime Hayon and Patricia Urquiola, experimental and innovative Curro Claret and Nacho Carbonell, as well as established designers Martin Azua, Marti Guixe and Antoni Arola. The works portray a remarkable diversity of styles and techniques representing the best product design from the Spanish Design Boom.
American University Art Museum at the Katzen Center | 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20016
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
Send it to us. We publish every week: