NATIONAL & ONLINE
• The Shade Store's Solar Materials Sale All solar materials are 10% off. This summer sale includes Solar Shades, Solar Roman Shades, and Solar Vertical Systems. All Solar Shade materials are energy efficient and environmentally friendly. Customers can choose from a selection of GreenGuard Certified materials.
• Modani Furniture Fourth of July Sale This Fourth of July, add some more sizzle to your celebration with up to 40 percent off (or more in some cases!) on some of Modani Furniture's hottest summer accessories and lighting. Shop Modani's Red, White and Blue Fourth of July Sale designed to save you lots of green!
Online and in stores
• FinnStyle Marimekko Sale FinnStyle is having a big Marimekko summer clearance sale. Save 10-50%! on over 400+ Marimekko items and over 150 fabrics (and check out the clearance wallpaper, too!).
• The CubeMarketplace.com Summer Clearance Sale Save up to 60% off top handcrafted brands for kitchen, home, and garden, including Bookhou, Caroline Swift, Girlscantell, Latini Pastas, Moretti Polentas, Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Perch!, Plover Organic Textiles, Reynoldsware by Daniel Reynolds, Robert Lambert Fruit Syrups, and Whitney Smith!
• Messy Room Makeover Contest Has entering your kid's cave suddenly turned into an Olympic event? Navigating the slopes of smelly socks that have piled up on the floor, leaping over the mountains of books and toys and dashing towards the exit as the stench of forgotten food overwhelms the senses. If so, g.u.s. wants to see it! Submit photos for a chance to win a $400 makeover of your kid's room.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• Circle Furniture Comfort Plus Promo Choose a free recliner accessory with the purchase of any Stressless recliner and ottoman. Plus, save $300 on the Stressless Sunrise in select color.
All Circle Furniture locations
• Vintage Heaven United We Buy Sale Shop from a dozen vintage vendors at this holiday weekend sale.
Heaven Gallery | 1550 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60622
7/2 - 7/3: 12pm - 6pm
• Granville Summer Market Days The empty storefronts on the corner of Granville and Broadway are getting a little boost with this weekends only pop up market. Vendors are setting up shop, offering everything from antiques to baked goods, very Saturday and Sunday.
Granville Summer Market Days | Broadway and Granville, Chicago, Illinois 60660
7/2 - 7/31: 10am - 3pm
• First Thursdays Galleries in the River North and West Loop districts keep their doors open a little later once a month to give you a chance to explore the art scene in these popular neighborhoods. Galleries are open to the public and free. PARTICIPATING GALLERY INFORMATION
7/10: 5pm - 7pm
• Annual Storewide Clearance Sale It's time for the annual storewide clearance sale at Grace Home Furnishings. All floor merchandise and warehouse inventory will be discounted up to 75% to make room for the new fall inventory.
Grace Home Furnishings | 11632 Barrington Court, Los Angeles, California 90049
• How Much Does Your Building Weigh, Mr. Foster? This documentary explores the passions and influences of British architect Norman Foster. He discusses what inspired him to design some of today's most stunning and innovative architectural structures, such as the Beijing Airport, the Reichstag, and the world's tallest bridge, in Millau, France.
Hammer Museum | 10899 Wilshire Boulevard, West Los Angeles, California 90024
• COME IN! 2: Surf.Skate.Bike. A+D Museum presents the 2011 installation of COME IN! The hottest of Los Angeles' young design talent take over the museum's galleries, offices, storage closets and bathrooms. COME IN! fuses this year with the L.A. themes of Surf, Skate and Bike. A pop-up shop will sell limited edition works created by the exhibit's designers.
Architecture and Design Museum | 6032 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• Artspace Warehouse/CITY and SOCIETY Show Artist reception for new show CITY and SOCIETY, featuring European and US artists. Museum quality affordable art by Edith Konrad, Barbara Kolo, Brad Reyes, Clara Berta, Marco Pittori, Ashleigh Sumner. New works by LA artists Lucinda Luvaas, Hilary Bond, Ashleigh Sumner, Judy Zimbert, Courtney Raney plus new artworks from our European artists.
Artspace Warehouse | 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036
• (Not A) Lemonade Stand Join (Not A) Gallery this weekend for (Not A) Lemonade Stand, a performance installation by Justin Belmont. Stop by to meet the artist and enjoy free lemon/vodka cocktails at our Summer 2011 pop-Up art space.
(Not A) Gallery | 91 Main Street, Southampton, New York 11968
7/2 - 7/24: 2pm - 6pm
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• New Paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist Mikey Welsh The Slingluff Gallery presents new paintings by Ex-Weezer Bassist, Mikey Welsh. Self-taught and influenced by playing in bands his entire adult life, Mikey Welsh started painting with his hands, which unconsciously lead to getting that aggressive and immediate feeling he had while playing. For him, this is a necessity. Welsh's new work perfectly combines his figurative work with his abstract into paintings that pop off of the canvas.
The Slingluff Gallery | 11 West Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
7/2 - 7/30
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Marin County Fair In addition to the usual fair fare (rides, food and fun), check out the fine arts, fine crafts, and photography. Over 2,000 entries are juried in this popular 800-piece show, featuring painting, graphics/mixed media, sculpture, glass, jewelry, furniture, digital art, and photography.
Marin County Fair | 10 Avenue of the Flags, San Rafael, California 94903
6/30 - 7/4
• Gump's EQ Show The beauty of horses is undeniable. They are an amazing creature, a gift that has graced our world for thousands of years. They have inspired chariots, sewn fertile soils, served on ceremony, raced to every finish line and carried early San Franciscans through treacherous terrain safely to the shores of the Pacific. We celebrate the seductive and powerful character of horses through the many mediums that are available to our artisans. Fine oils, wood, bronze, glass, leather and clay all shape our desire to capture the essence of this most beautiful creature. Join us and explore an installation of equestrian delight.
Gump's | 135 Post Street, San Francisco, California 94108
7/7 - 8/17
• Greentea Design's Steps and Storage Sale 20% off on all step chests and bookshelves.
Greentea Design | 388 Carlaw Avenue, Suite 200, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4M 2T4
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
Send it to us. We publish every week: