NATIONAL & ONLINE
• Modani Furniture Memorial Weekend Sale Update home furnishings this Memorial Day during Modani Furniture's Memorial Day Weekend Sale. With over 100 items up to 70 percent off, from accessories to beds to stools to sofas.
Online and in stores.
• VandM Summer Modern Sale 20-50% off modern furniture from a top 20th century specialist.
• Custom Week 2011 A group of more than 35 custom and personalized product companies are collaborating for a weeklong promotion to bring attention to the growing "mass customization" movement. Individual deals are available at each participants online store and visitors can also enter to win a $2,500 "Customize Your Life" Grand Prize package.
6/6 - 6/13
• Roman Shade Sale The entire line of Roman Shades in six different styles are now 10% off at The Shade Store.
• Lightology Norwell Sale 10% off all Norwell Lighting, including bath bars, bathroom wall sconces, outdoor lighting and wall sconces.
• The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program The Open Days Program offers hundreds of opportunities to learn and exchange gardening ideas – or to simply explore and enjoy magnificent gardens not normally open to the public. The 2011 Open Days season extends into early November and includes more than 300 private gardens in seventeen states, from southern California to the coastline of Rhode Island. Check the site to find a tour near you.
BOSTON & NEW ENGLAND
• John Brooks: A Collaboration with Nature An exhibition of forty works by the nationally recognized New Hampshire sculptor and furniture maker.
Currier Museum of Art | 150 Ash Street, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
• Circle Furniture Comfort Plus Promo Choose a free recliner accessory with the purchase of any Stressless recliner and ottoman. Plus, save $300 on the Stressless Sunrise in select color.
All Circle Furniture locations
• 5th Annual Revive Your Retreat Join Susan Fredman Design Group as we celebrate the kitchen! Enjoy live cooking demonstrations, learn how to make your space healthier and discover insider tips for entertaining. Plus, browse our trunk show for beautiful products for your entire home. Event will benefit non-profit Michiana Humane Society. Stop in as your schedule allows or stay for the entire day. RSVP
Susan Fredman at Home | 15998 Red Arrow Highway, Union Pier, Michigan 49129
6/4: 11am - 5pm
• Organic Fruit & Vegetable Gardening Class Learn to grow fruits and vegetables organically! This class focuses on Summer Crops, Herbal Companion Planting, Summer Disease ID, Treatment and Prevention, Biodiversity, Summer Weeds and Insects, Remedies and Recipes, Horticulture Therapy, Small Space Gardening.
The Arboretum | 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, California 91007
6/4: 12pm - 4pm
• Annual Storewide Clearance Sale It's time for the annual storewide clearance sale at Grace Home Furnishings. All floor merchandise and warehouse inventory will be discounted up to 75% to make room for the new fall inventory.
Grace Home Furnishings | 11632 Barrington Court, Los Angeles, California 90049
• Blu Dot Warehouse Sale Save up to 70% on Blu Dot products for your entire home.
Blu Dot Warehouse | 13098 George Weber Drive, Rogers, Minnesota, 55374
6/4: 9am - 1pm
• Beacon Flea Market Vendors of antique, vintage, architectural, quirky and unusual items will sell alongside yard salers.
Beacon Flea Market | 6 Henry Street, Beacon, New York 12508
6/5: 8am - 3pm
• Sheherazade Spring/Summer Sale 40-50% off entire inventory of furniture, mirrors, lamps, pillows, rugs, home accessories, and more.
Sheherazade | 121 Orchard Street, New York, New York 10002
• Donald Judd Exhibition David Zwirner is pleased to present an exhibition of works by Donald Judd drawn from the artist's seminal 1989 exhibition held at the Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden, Germany. Spanning both of the gallery's viewing spaces, the works on view will be re-installed in accordance to the artist's original intentions, and the exhibition will comprise a focused investigation of the key concerns within Judd's body of work.
David Zwirner | 525 West 19th Street, New York, New York 10011
• Stephen Burks: Man Made Stephen Burks: Man Made is The Studio Museum's first-ever industrial design exhibition and Stephen's first solo show in New York City, and features a unique project that furthers the industrial designer's ongoing exploration of the global economy of artisanal craft.
The Studio Museum | 144 West 125th Street, New York, New York 10027
• Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World) This first major museum survey of the work of illustrator, author and designer Maira Kalman features a selection spanning thirty years of 100 original paintings, drawings, and sketches shown along with the many ways Kalman's work has entered contemporary culture - in books and magazines, and on commercial products, from clothing to watches. Less widely seen works in photography, embroidery, textiles, and performance are also included. Kalman illuminates contemporary life with a profound sense of joy and unique sense of humor. As a context for this survey, Kalman has created a special installation to reveal some source material she has gathered as collector, walker, traveler, reader and maker of lists. Furnished with chairs, ladders and "many tables of many things," this installation offers a view of how she sees the world, both in and outside the studio.
The Jewish Museum | 1109 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10128
• Thinking Outside the Box: European Cabinets, Caskets, and Cases Featuring 100 works selected from the Museum's Department of European Sculpture and Decorative Arts.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 1000 5th Avenue, New York, New York 10028
Through Summer 2011
• Leucos USA Sale
A gorgeous selection of Leucos USA's handcrafted Venetian table and floor lamps, wall sconces, and chandeliers, along with an assortment of vases and other glass accessories will be on sale to the public at significantly reduced prices at the high-end Italian lighting importer's U.S. distribution center. Brands include FDV Collection, ITRE, Luxit and Leucos. Prices start in the $100-150 range.
Leucos Distribution Center | 11 Mayfield Avenue Edison, NJ 08837
6/8 through 6/11: 9am-6pm, 6/12: 10am-5pm
• Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse Sale Over 3000 square feet of Mid-Century and Danish Teak furniture at wholesale prices. Open to the public for a limited time.
Mid-Century Furniture Warehouse | 1217 East Columbia Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
6/5: 12pm - 3pm
• George Nelson Exhibit Next time you settle down in your family room, remember to thank George Nelson. When Nelson coauthored the book Tomorrow's House in 1945, he described both the now familiar family gathering spot, and the "storagewall," solving specific design challenges for a more informal way of living. George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher celebrates this iconic American designer whose ideas yielded numerous classics in American furniture and interior design. Organized by the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, this first comprehensive retrospective of Nelson's work incorporates over 120 three dimensional objects, including benches, cabinets, chairs, clocks, desks, and lamps, as well as historical drawings, photographs, architectural models, and films.
McNay Art Museum | 6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209
SAN FRANCISCO & BAY AREA
• Palo Alto Citywide Yard Sale With over 370 Palo Alto families holding their yard sale on the same day, you're bound to find something you love.
INFORMATION & MAP
6/4: 8am - 2pm
• Blue Jam Cookbook Event Bay Area jam artisan Rachel Saunders shares delectable recipes and savvy technical knowledge in The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook, the definitive jam and marmalade cookbook of the 21st century. Join us for mimosas and a jam demo.
Aldea Home | 3338 17th Street, San Francisco, California 94110
6/5: 1pm - 3pm
• Printmaking Workshop + Book Signing Stop by West Elm for this Printmaking Workshop + Book Signing with DIY-savvy designer Christine Schmidt of the San Francisco design studio Yellow Owl Workshop. Join us for a hands-on stamp carving and hand-printing class. Afterwards, Christine will sign copies of her new book, Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques + Truly Original Projects.
West Elm | 5602 Bay Street, Emeryville, California 94608
6/11: 4pm - 7pm
• Hand Cut Silhouettes Renowned silhouette artist Karl Johnson will be coming to the Bay Area to create hand cut silhouettes. He will be holding events at local area stores. Stop by to have your own silhouette custom created by the artist.
Cupcake | 107 Plaza Street, Healdsburg, California 95448
6/7: 1pm - 5pm
Cupcake | 41 4th Street, Santa Rosa, California 95404
6/8: 1pm - 5pm
Monkey Bars | 1339 Park Street, Alameda, California 94501
6/11: 10am - 3pm
Peek Aren't You Curious | 1536 Redwood Highway, Corte Madera, California 94925
6/12: 10am - 6pm
• Homesite Furniture's Memorial Day Sale 20% off regular price furniture, 10% off accessories and custom upholstery, and 10% off already marked down items.
Homesite Furniture | 4818 14th Avenue Northwest, Seattle, Washington 98107
• Herman Miller Summer Sale Mid-century classic and modern designs on sale for 15% off. Choose from hundreds of fabrics and finishes to acquire a made-to-order, personalized piece.
Vastu | 1829 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
6/3 - 6/12
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW, Washington DC 20001
• Free Summer Saturdays at the Corcoran Join the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design for FREE Summer Saturdays – back by popular demand! This summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend, enjoy free admission to the Gallery, including special exhibitions Chris Martin: Painting Big and Washington Color and Light. Enjoy special programs, Gallery tours, workshops, demonstrations, and performances for all ages.
Corcoran Gallery of Art | 500 17th Street NW, Washington DC 20006
• WE Heart Handmade Art You're invited to a Pop-Up Event at West Elm
featuring art, crafts and other goods from local Etsy designers curated by Anabela Carneiro of Fieldguided.
West Elm | 109 Atlantic Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6K 1X4
Send it to us. We publish every week: