• BKLYN DESIGNS 2010
• Affordable Art Fair
• Kathy Erteman Ceramics Studio Sale
• The Dreamers @ VOOS
• Limelight Marketplace Opening
• Wendell Castle Exhibition
• Pollack Warehouse Sale
• DWR Presents: M+D+F
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen
• The Pratt Show
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
• Pierre Frey Exhibition
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Auction
• WÜD Sale
• Gracious Home Pet Sale
• BoConcept Space-Saver Sale
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House
• Housing Works Design on a Dime
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome
• Dead or Alive @ MAD
• Rejuvenation Sale
• Artemide Sale
• Artemide Sale @ Lumens.com
• Green Up Shop
• Container Store's Organization Sale
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops
• Brooklyn Indie Market
details & 14 more below the jump…
scroll down for details
• Knoll Warehouse Sale
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella
• STRAIGHTFORWARD New Finnish Design
• Noho Design District
• Dune / "Enamored"
• Secret Shop Pop Up
• David Stark @ NYPL
• BoCoCa Arts Festival
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• BKLYN DESIGNS 2010 Now in its eighth year, BKLYN DESIGNS is New York's premier exhibition of designers and manufacturers of contemporary furnishings and accessories made and/or designed in Brooklyn.
St. Ann's Warehouse | 38 Water Street (between Main Street & Dock Street) DUMBO, Brooklyn
5/7 - 5/9
• Affordable Art Fair Jump-start your art collection with over 70 galleries of work from both established and hot young talent — priced from $100 - $10,000.
7 W New York | 7 West 34th Street (near 5th Avenue) NYC
5/ 6 - 5/9
• Kathy Erteman Ceramics Open Studio & Sale Kathy Erteman ceramic artist and tableware designer will open her studio for a sale of original ceramic works from the past year including tableware prototypes and modular wall pieces.
Kathy Erteman Ceramics | 16 East 18th Street, 2nd floor
5/6: 5pm - 9pm
5/7: 11am - 4pm
• The Dreamers @ VOOS The Dreamers: An Exhibition of Off-the-Grid New York Designers showcasing the latest works of independent, local designers.
103a N3rd Street Brooklyn, New York 11211
OPENING BLOCK PARTY: 5/8: 6pm - 10pm
5/7 - 5/23
• Limelight Marketplace Opening
656 Avenue of the Americas (@ 20th Street) New York City
5/7: opens at 2pm
• Wendell Castle Exhibition Wendell Castle's groundbreaking unification of sculpture and furniture are showcased in the exhibition that will feature a group of 12 unique, stack-laminated wood chairs.
Barry Friedman Ltd. | 515 West 26th Street, NYC
5/6 - 6/26
• Pollack Warehouse Sale Deep discounts on window and upholstery fabrics, natural fibers, velvets, outdoor patterns, heavy/medium duty with varying patterns such as florals, bold stripes and countless others representing a full range of the Pollack line.
Pollack | 150 Varick Street, 10th Floor (between Spring and Vandam)
• DWR Presents: M+D+F M+D+F 2010 is a juried exhibition designed to uncover and promote innovative modern original designs by emerging designers in New York.
DWR Flatrion Studio | 903 Broadway New York, New York 10010
OPENING RECEPTION: Come by the Studio to view the best 15 pieces, meet the designers and enjoy a vodka cocktail. 5/6: 7pm - 9pm
EXHIBIT: 5/15 - 5/18
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen All of Greenwich Avenue is turned into a strolling gallery — over 140 artists will display their work at neighboring retailers and restaurants.
DWR Greenwich Studio | 86 Greenwich Avenue Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
KEN RESEN RECEPTION: 5/6: 5:30pm - 8pm
5/6 - 5/31
• The Pratt Show Cutting-edge work from Pratt's 2010 graduating seniors in all areas of design.
Manhattan Center | 311 West 34th Street New York, New York
5/11 - 5/14
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
5/12/2010 - 1/9/2011
• Pierre Frey Exhibition On the eve of their 75th anniversary, Pierre Frey celebrates the birth of the company with an exhibition from the company's archives dating from 1935 to 1955.
D&D Building | 979 Third Avenue #1611 New York, New York10022
5/12- 7/20: 8:30am - 5pm
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Charity Auction A unique collection of iconic Eames Molded Plywood Chairs as re-imagined by some of today's most celebrated graffiti and street artists will be auctioned online to benefit Operation Design, a creative mentorship program for NYC Public School students.
SEE THE CHAIRS: windows of Barneys New York | Madison Avenue and 61st Street
ONLINE AUCTION: opdesign.com
5/11 - 6/1
• WÜD Sale To make room for the latest collection debuting at BKLYN DESIGNS, showroom sale on on all in-stock and floor models.
WÜD | 222 Clifton Place, Brooklyn, New York 11216
Now - 5/9
• Gracious Home Pet Sale All of our dog products will be 10% off. Additionally, dog beds and accessories from Lazybonezz will be 20% off and Harry Barker products 25% off.
6 New York Gracious Home locations
5/3 - 5/10
• BoConcept Sale Save big on multifunctional designs for small spaces like the ottoman that converts to a twin bed, expandable dining tables and functional coffee tables with storage space and rising panels.
10 New York Metro BoConcept Stores
5/1 - 6/15
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House 18 top designers and architects re-imagine every room in a six-story, 19th Century Renaissance Revival limestone mansion on the Upper West Side.
26 West 76th Street
• Housing Works Design on a Dime Housing Works Thrift Shops sixth annual Design on a Dime fundraising event — shop spectacular rooms by the country's top designers; featuring brand new housewares, furniture, and linens, all available at charitable prices.
Metropolitan Pavilion | 125 West 18th Street, New York, New York
VIP RECEPTION: 5/6 (Tickets $150)
FREE PUBLIC SALE: 5/7 & 5/8: 10am - 6pm
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome BRIDES magazine comes to life and inspires pre-engaged, engaged and newlywed couples with ideas for their homes. Interior designer Inson Dubois Wood's transformation of an eco-luxury two-bedroom triplex apartment into a stylish, attainable and sustainably-chic space where you'll genuinely feel at home.
BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome | 311 East 11th Street PH2
4/24 - 5/22: free and open to the public on Saturdays & Sundays from 11am - 4pm
• Dead or Alive @ MAD Showcasing the work of over 30 international artists who transform organic materials and objects that were once produced by or part of living organisms — insects, feathers, bones, silkworm cocoons, plant materials, and hair — to create intricately crafted and designed installations and sculptures.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle New York, New York 10019
4/27 - 10/24
• Green Up Shop Featuring over 200 items made from recycled or waste items from TerraCycle and 6 other New York and Brooklyn-based designers. A range of clothing, furniture, jewelry, home decor, fitness and other items will be available from some of New York's best up-and-coming designers and companies.
Port Authority Bus Terminal | 8th Avenue and 41st Street NYC
3/27 - 5/9
• Container Store's Spring Organization Sale Save on functional and attractive organizing products. During the sale experts will be providing FREE in-store Spring Organization demonstrations every Saturday and Sunday at 2pm and 4pm, from April 10th - May 9th. We'll also give away one $25 Gift Card at each demonstration!
Container Stores in the New York Metro area:
Chelsea | 629 Sixth Avenue New York, New York 10011
Midtown East | 725 Lexington Avenue New York, New York 10022 (at 58th Street)
Paramus | 370 Route 17 North Suite 1 Paramus, New Jersey 07652
White Plains | 145 Westchester Avenue White Plains, New York 10601
3/29 - 5/9
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops Learn how to fit a lamp with a lampshade, revamping a dated lamp with a new shade, basic construction of a shade, and different things you can make into a lamp in a working lampshade and vintage lighting studio. FREE monthly workshops on the second Saturday of each month.
RSVP: thingsthatmakeyousmile [at] gmail [dot] com, or call 518.789.6603
Shandell's | 5916 North Elm Avenue (corner of Route 22 & Route 44) Millerton, New York, 12546
5/8: 9am - 11am
6/12: 9am - 11am
• Brooklyn Indie Market 4th grand reopening of Brooklyn Indie Market (BIM), a weekly weekend market showcasing some of the freshest names in jewelry, clothing, handbags, kidswear, bath, silk screened men's t-shirts and product design.
Located on Smith and Union Streets in Brooklyn's Carroll Gardens — take the F/G train to the Carroll station stop
Saturday: 11am - 7pm
Sunday: 11am - 6pm
• Knoll Warehouse Sale Don't miss this opportunity to own authentic Knoll furniture at promotional prices. Classic Knoll designs by Florence Knoll, Mies Van der Rohe, Eero Saarinen and Harry Bertoia and others will be on sale up to 80% off the list price! The merchandise includes overstocks, customer returns and discounted products. Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards accepted ONLY. NO CASH. NO CHECKS. Delivery service available. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
156 Fifth Avenue (corner of 20th Street).
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella 20th Century Gallery The art, scultpure and furniture work of the Milan-based contemporary artist inspired by Fontana Arte and the Murano glass masters.
Donzella 20th Century Gallery | 17 White Street New York, New York 10013
5/13 - 7/17
• STRAIGHTFORWARD New Finnish Design A presentation of innovative solutions to matters of everyday life by individual designers and design oriented companies during Meatpacking District Design '10. The event focuses on today's interpretations of the traditional values that made Finnish Design world famous sixty years ago.
5/14 - 5/17
• Noho Design District The curatorial consultancy Sight Unseen has brought together designers, artists, local businesses and retailers to present a variety of experiences including pop-up retail shops, exhibitions, talks, open studios, parties, and performances, creating a festival-like atmosphere in a neighborhood that is a new hub for design and creativity.
KICK-OFF: 5/15: 7pm - 10pm
5/15 - 5/18
• Poetic License @ Moss For its 2010 spring exhibition, Moss presents a gallery-wide celebration of rule breaking, envelope pushing and taking chances. Poetic License includes work from Studio Job, Maarten Baas, Patrick Jouin, Fernando and Humberto Campana, Oskar Zieta and many more.
Moss | 150 Greene Street New York, New York 10012
5/16 - 6/26
• Dune / "Enamored" Dune will be debuting its 2010 Furniture Collection with all new designs by Harry Allen, Jozeph Forakis, Karim Rashid, Claesson Koivisto Rune, and Richard Shemtov.
Milk Gallery | 450 W. 15th Street New York, New York
5/16: 11am - 8pm
5/17: 11am - 4pm
• Secret Shop Pop Up Merchant no. 4 is hosting a selection of beautiful design objects and home accessories from international product designers.
52 Walker Street, 4th Floor (located near all Canal Street Subways)
5/15 - 5/18: 11am - 7pm
• Fit City 5: Promoting Physical Activity through Design The AIA New York Chapter, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, is hosting the fifth annual Fit City public conference to examine how design interventions create opportunities for increasing physical activity. This conference will bring together architects, planners, designers, developers, and public health professionals, to address how building design and policy decisions can increase physical activity, thus helping to prevent chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, some cancers and asthma. RSVP
The Center for Architecture | 536 LaGuardia Place (between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets)
5/18: 8am - 1pm
• David Stark @ NYPL In this event New York's renowned event planner and designer, David Stark of David Stark Design and Production, will inspire us with a visual tour and discussion of his firm's most public and celebrated projects. He focuses on pushing the boundaries of event design into the realm of cutting edge installation art, while also concentrating on eco-friendly approaches.
New York Public Library | Stephen A. Schwarzman Building 476 Fifth Avenue (5th Avenue and 42nd Street) New York, New York 10018
5/19: 6pm (Margaret Liebman Berger Forum Room 227 (2nd Floor))
• Country Living's 2010 House of the Year Developed by New World Home and designed by the Country Living editors, this historically inspired modular homes from the Country Living Collection will showcase compelling style and "green" products and features for every room. Free.
The World Financial Center | 220 Vesey Street New York, New York 10281
6/4 - 6/16: Monday-Friday 11am - 5pm; Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm
6/17: 10am - 2pm
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar The 6th Triennial seminar brings top names in contemporary design, featured in lectures and exhibitions to explore and discuss this year's theme of Creative Processs. The Alvar Aalto Design Seminar is arranged triennially, alternating with the Alvar Aalto Symposium and the Alvar Aalto Research Conference. 2010 seminar speakers include: Naoto Fukasawa, Ross Lovegrove, Inga Sempé, Hans Maier-Aichen, Monica Förster, Simo Heikkilä, Clemens Weisshaar and Timo Salli.
University of Jyvaskyla | Jyvaskyla, Finland
8/21 & 8/22
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
8/26 - 9/5
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen Counter Space explores the twentieth-century transformation of the kitchen and highlights MoMA's recent acquisition of an unusually complete example of the iconic "Frankfurt Kitchen," designed in 1926–27 by the architect Grete Schütte-Lihotzky.
MoMA | 11 West 53 Street New York, New York 10019
9/15 - 3/21/2011
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
9/23 - 9/29
Image: Bella Lamp from BKLYN DESIGNS exhibitor ALS Designs
Send it to us. We publish every week: