• ABC Bronx Warehouse Sale
• DWR Annex Sale
• Clodagh Moving Sale
• Odegard Warehouse Sale
• Clio Sale
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella
• Poetic License @ Moss
• Hand Tool Presentation @ Makeville Studio
• EKLA Home Sale
• The Dreamers @ VOOS
• George Smith Sale
• Wendell Castle Exhibition
• Décor Insider
• YLighting Warehouse Sale
• Pier 1 Sale
• Fornasetti Installation @ Barneys
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
• Pierre Frey Exhibition
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Auction
• BoConcept Sale
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome
• Dead or Alive @ MAD
• Wexel Art Sale
• Brooklyn Indie Market
• Traveler Sale @ The Container Store
details & 11 more below the jump…
scroll down for details
• Score! Pop Up Swap
• Bushwick Open Studios
• Makers Market
• Kim Seybert Sample Sale
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops
• Country Living's 2010 House of the Year
• BoCoCa Arts Festival
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• ABC Bronx Warehouse Sale Thousands of new goods have arrived and have been discounted up to 75% off original prices. Save on select home accessories, lighting, tabletop & decorative accessories, bedding & bath, modern, grounded & antique furniture, upholstery, sofas, chairs and sectionals, handmade oriental rugs, antique & vintage carpets, contemporary rugs and more! Receive special savings on select famous case and upholstery brands, including selected items from Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, Theodore Alexander, Barbara Barry and French Heritage.
ABC Carpet & Home Bronx Warehouse | 1055 Bronx River Avenue Bronx, New York 10472
5/20 - 5/23: Mon-Sat: 10am - 7pm, Sun: 11am – 6pm
• DWR Annex Sale Take 20% - 70% off original prices at our one-stop resource for some of the most innovative modern design of the past and present, only with a few of life's dings and dents.
DWR Secaucus Annex | 55 Hartz Way Secaucus, New Jersey 07094
5/22: 10am – 6pm
5/23: 11am – 6pm
• Clodagh Moving Sale 40% - 60% off on Clodagh Private Label pieces and merchandise from all of Clodagh Designs' favorite artists and vendors.
Clodagh Design | 670 Broadway 4th Floor New York, New York 10012
• Odegard Warehouse Sale Up to 70% Off Samples, Overstock, Discontinued, and
One of a Kind Rugs, Furniture and Accessories.
Odegard Warehouse | 30-30 47th Avenue Long Island City, New York 11101
5/20 - 5/23
• Clio Sale Everything in the store — plates, bowls, glasses, vases, candleholders, lamps, serving pieces and more — is all discounted from 10-75% off. Even Clio's furniture — both rustic American antiques (farm tables, hutches and benches) and mid-century and modern pieces (side boards and tables) — will be offered at a steep discount.
92 Thompson Street (between Prince and Spring Streets) SoHo
5/14 - 5/31
• Roberto Giulio Rida @ Donzella 20th Century Gallery The art, sculpture and furniture work of the Milan-based contemporary artist inspired by Fontana Arte and the Murano glass masters.
Donzella 20th Century Gallery | 17 White Street New York, New York 10013
5/13 - 7/17
• Poetic License @ Moss For its 2010 spring exhibition, Moss presents a gallery-wide celebration of rule breaking, envelope pushing and taking chances. Poetic License includes work from Studio Job, Maarten Baas, Patrick Jouin, Fernando and Humberto Campana, Oskar Zieta and many more.
Moss | 150 Greene Street New York, New York 10012
5/16 - 6/26
• Hand Tool Presentation @ Makeville Studio Want to learn more about Japanese style chisels, planes and saws? Join us for a presentation by Joel Moskowitz of Tools for Working Wood. We'll learn some interesting history about these tools and how Japanese and western style differ —how they're made and used, and why you might choose one style over the other. Joel is bringing a selection of tools to look at and if there's time we may get a quick demo on how to use some of them. FREE! Refreshments provided by Makeville Studio.
Makeville Studio | 119 8th Street (between 2nd and 3rd Ave) Gowanus/Park Slope Brooklyn
5/25: 6:30pm - 7:30pm
• EKLA Home Sale 25% our regular retail prices for all orders on our open line collection.
Woodstock Organic Mattress | 136 W. 21st Street New York, New York 10011
Woodstock Organic Mattress | 1104 Ulster Avenue Kingston, New York 12401
Now - 5/22
• The Dreamers @ VOOS The Dreamers: An Exhibition of Off-the-Grid New York Designers showcasing the latest works of independent, local designers.
103a N3rd Street Brooklyn, New York 11211
OPENING BLOCK PARTY: 5/8: 6pm - 10pm
5/7 - 5/23
• George Smith Sale Up to 50% off original retail prices. An extensive selection of luxuriously comfortable handmade furniture. Sofas, chairs, chaises and stools covered in a wide selection of fabrics, leathers and kilims. All available for immediate delivery.
George Smith | 315 Hudson Street New York, New York 10013
5/15 - 5/22
• Wendell Castle Exhibition Wendell Castle's groundbreaking unification of sculpture and furniture are showcased in the exhibition that will feature a group of 12 unique, stack-laminated wood chairs.
Barry Friedman Ltd. | 515 West 26th Street, NYC
5/6 - 6/26
• Décor Insider Décor Insider is a newly developed online marketplace selling "to-the-trade" designer home furnishings at greatly reduced prices. Housing Works will receive a donation of 5% for all Décor Insider purchases made between 5/6 - 6/30.
5/6 - 6/30
• Fornasetti Installation @ Barneys Fresh characters that have been added to the family of Fornasetti vases by Bitossi Ceramiche will be on display this month at Barneys New York.
Barneys New York | Madison Avenue & Sixty-First Street in Chelsea Passage on the 9th Floor
5/15 - 6/27
• Art to the Avenue & Ken Resen All of Greenwich Avenue is turned into a strolling gallery — over 140 artists will display their work at neighboring retailers and restaurants.
DWR Greenwich Studio | 86 Greenwich Avenue Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
KEN RESEN RECEPTION: 5/6: 5:30pm - 8pm
5/6 - 5/31
• Cooper-Hewitt National Design Triennial
5/12/2010 - 1/9/2011
• Pierre Frey Exhibition On the eve of their 75th anniversary, Pierre Frey celebrates the birth of the company with an exhibition from the company's archives dating from 1935 to 1955.
D&D Building | 979 Third Avenue #1611 New York, New York10022
5/12- 7/20: 8:30am - 5pm
• 'Eames Inspiration' Online Charity Auction A unique collection of iconic Eames Molded Plywood Chairs as re-imagined by some of today's most celebrated graffiti and street artists will be auctioned online to benefit Operation Design, a creative mentorship program for NYC Public School students.
SEE THE CHAIRS: windows of Barneys New York | Madison Avenue and 61st Street
ONLINE AUCTION: opdesign.com
5/11 - 6/1
• BoConcept Sale Save big on multifunctional designs for small spaces like the ottoman that converts to a twin bed, expandable dining tables and functional coffee tables with storage space and rising panels.
10 New York Metro BoConcept Stores
5/1 - 6/15
• Kips Bay Decorator Show House 18 top designers and architects re-imagine every room in a six-story, 19th Century Renaissance Revival limestone mansion on the Upper West Side.
26 West 76th Street
• BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome BRIDES magazine comes to life and inspires pre-engaged, engaged and newlywed couples with ideas for their homes. Interior designer Inson Dubois Wood's transformation of an eco-luxury two-bedroom triplex apartment into a stylish, attainable and sustainably-chic space where you'll genuinely feel at home.
BRIDES Newlywed Nest Showhome | 311 East 11th Street PH2
4/24 - 5/22: free and open to the public on Saturdays & Sundays from 11am - 4pm
• Dead or Alive @ MAD Showcasing the work of over 30 international artists who transform organic materials and objects that were once produced by or part of living organisms — insects, feathers, bones, silkworm cocoons, plant materials, and hair — to create intricately crafted and designed installations and sculptures.
Museum of Arts & Design | 2 Columbus Circle New York, New York 10019
4/27 - 10/24
• Brooklyn Indie Market 4th grand reopening of Brooklyn Indie Market (BIM), a weekly weekend market showcasing some of the freshest names in jewelry, clothing, handbags, kidswear, bath, silk screened men's t-shirts and product design.
Located on Smith and Union Streets in Brooklyn's Carroll Gardens — take the F/G train to the Carroll station stop
Saturday: 11am - 7pm
Sunday: 11am - 6pm
• Traveler Sale @ The Container Store The Container Store is excited to introduce our NEW 2010 Luggage Collection of durable yet exceptionally lightweight luggage and travel organizers. Every item weighs 9½ pounds or less, which is crucial when trying to avoid those luggage fees — all on sale.
Now - 6/27
COMING UP IN DETAIL
• Score! Pop Up Swap NYC's raddest curated "free store" that invites New Yorkers to clear out their closets and score new treasures. Attendees bring their old clothes, music, books, etc, to the event and drop them at the door. Volunteers sort and distribute these items to themed departments where professional curators organize them into boutique-like displays. Attendees have the option to browse each department and take as much as they can carry! Meanwhile, DJs keep the party poppin', artists silkscreen custom tote bags, and fashion photographers take photos of stylish "scored" outfits. At the end of the day, all leftover items and proceeds from the event are donated to charity. Cover: $3 w/ RSVP
BKLYN Yard | 400 Carroll Street (between Bond & Nevins)
5/29: 12pm - 6pm
• Bushwick Open Studios Includes over 275 individual studios, shows and events involving more than 500 artists in over 140 locations. This free annual festival invites visual artists, performers, musicians, designers and the public to celebrate creative expression together in the one of the most vital arts districts in New York City. Bushwick Open Studios takes place over 3 square miles, including parts of East Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant and Ridgewood. To unite the area, Informational hubs close to subway and bus lines will provide maps, promotional materials and information about studios and activities. Hubs include: English Kills, 3rd Ward, ISCP, Goodbye Blue Monday, Bushwick Supply, Lumenhouse, Palmetto AIR, Norte Maar, Camel, Famous Accountants, Wyckoff Starr, Green Rhino, Junto Meeting Place, and Fort Useless.
5/5 & 5/6: 12pm - 7pm
• Makers Market Presented by Socrates Sculpture Park, in partnership with Alan Wanzenberg Architect/ Design, The Noguchi Museum and R 20th Century, Makers Market is a premier forum to experience the convergence of design and contemporary craft in an open-air marketplace. Over 50 American makers will be selling one-of-a-kind and limited production objects, including; ceramics, turned wood bowls, glassware, motorcycles, hand forged knives, tableware, jewelry, furniture, lighting, and more.
Socrates Sculpture Park | 32-01 Vernon Boulevard (at Broadway) Long Island City, New York 11106
PREVIEW BENEFIT EVENT: 6/4: 5pm - 8pm / tickets $50
6/5: 11am - 7pm
6/6: 11am - 5pm
• Kim Seybert Sample Sale Kim Seybert is opening her doors to the public for a rare sample sale of her designer lifestyle accessories — glamorous tabletop, bar and bath accessories to enhance your summer entertaining or to make the perfect gift!
37 West 37th Street, 8th Floor (between 5th and 6th Avenues) NYC
6/8 - 6/10: 9am - 7pm
• Shandell's Lamp & Lighting Workshops Learn how to fit a lamp with a lampshade, revamping a dated lamp with a new shade, basic construction of a shade, and different things you can make into a lamp in a working lampshade and vintage lighting studio. FREE monthly workshops on the second Saturday of each month.
RSVP: thingsthatmakeyousmile [at] gmail [dot] com, or call 518.789.6603
Shandell's | 5916 North Elm Avenue (corner of Route 22 & Route 44) Millerton, New York, 12546
6/12: 9am - 11am
• Country Living's 2010 House of the Year Developed by New World Home and designed by the Country Living editors, this historically inspired modular homes from the Country Living Collection will showcase compelling style and "green" products and features for every room. Free.
The World Financial Center | 220 Vesey Street New York, New York 10281
6/4 - 6/16: Monday-Friday 11am - 5pm; Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm
6/17: 10am - 2pm
• Alvar Aalto Design Seminar The 6th Triennial seminar brings top names in contemporary design, featured in lectures and exhibitions to explore and discuss this year's theme of Creative Processs. The Alvar Aalto Design Seminar is arranged triennially, alternating with the Alvar Aalto Symposium and the Alvar Aalto Research Conference. 2010 seminar speakers include: Naoto Fukasawa, Ross Lovegrove, Inga Sempé, Hans Maier-Aichen, Monica Förster, Simo Heikkilä, Clemens Weisshaar and Timo Salli.
University of Jyvaskyla | Jyvaskyla, Finland
8/21 & 8/22
• Helsinki Design Week 2010
8/26 - 9/5
• Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen Counter Space explores the twentieth-century transformation of the kitchen and highlights MoMA's recent acquisition of an unusually complete example of the iconic "Frankfurt Kitchen," designed in 1926–27 by the architect Grete Schütte-Lihotzky.
MoMA | 11 West 53 Street New York, New York 10019
9/15 - 3/21/2011
• Origin: The London Craft Fair
9/23 - 9/29
Send it to us. We publish every week: