I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the assaults keep coming to our beloved FRAKTA bag. Apparently, a $2,145 leather version wasn't enough, because the IKEA staple now has another fashion iteration: A baseball cap crafted from the bag itself.
This fashion "moment" is brought to you by LA based indie brands Chinatown Market and Pleasures. The limited edition hat is made from 99¢ FRAKTA bags, so of course it costs $38. Not that it matters, since they're already sold out (there were only 150 hats to be had). I don't really understand how polypropylene is a good idea for a clothing item that's supposed to be breathable, but sometimes beauty is pain.
How did the FRAKTA become the It item du jour? Well, IKEA themselves are partly to blame. They've announced two FRAKTA collabs in the last year, Danish designers HAY and French retailer Colette. Then two weeks ago, Demna Gvasalia-led Balenciaga debuted their Arena Extra Large Shopper Tote, a.k.a. the $2K FRAKTA. IKEA then responded with an ad, officially turning this into A Thing.
In fact, Pleasures x Chinatown Market spoof said ad:
The IKEA ad's copy read:
How to identify an original Ikea Frakta bag
1) Shake it. If it rustles, it's the real deal.
2) Multifunctional. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
3) Throw it in the dirt. A true Frakta is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
4) Fold it. Are you able to fold it to the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
5) Look inside. The original has an authentic Ikea tag.
6) Price tag. Only $0.99.
Now I guess we're just waiting on which fashion house wants to make a blue leather cap with a four figure price tag (I'm kidding, please spare us).