If you need something to tide you over until Trading Spaces returns to airwaves in the spring of 2018, you're in luck: Australian reality show The Block is just the uber-dramatic renovation show you're waiting for.
The premise is a bit more high stakes than Trading Spaces: The series follows several pairs as they compete against each other to renovate and style properties to eventually sell them at auction for the highest price.
You may recall hearing about The Block's 2014 project, in which they gutted The Glass House, a 2200 square meter property (and they didn't exactly make what they expected at auction). But the property on last season, an incredible art deco soap and candle factory from the 1920s, is seriously bigger than that… by the size of a few tennis courts. Composed of three levels with five apartments, each unit is restored by teams of two, who are then subject to judgment by the show's experts.
The contestants on season 12 of The Block include a detective and schoolteacher couple, a pair of twenty-something elementary school teachers who say they have "no experience" in home renovations, and another twenty-something couple who introduce themselves like this:
"I'm Will." "And I'm Karlie." (in unison) "But together, WE'RE WARLIE!" Yes, seriously.
The Block season 13 is currently airing on the Nine Network down under, but those of us in this hemisphere can indulge by watching a boatload of episodes that are available on YouTube.
More design TV news
- Everything You Need to Know About the New Trading Spaces Designers & Carpenters
- A Fixer Upper Alum Shares What Really Goes On Behind the Scenes
- Here are the Designers on the Trading Spaces Reboot — And Some Of Them Are Familiar Faces!
- Fixer Upper Is Getting a Spinoff
- The Most Memorable Trading Spaces Makeovers
- There's a Great British Baking Show for Gardens, And Here's How You Can Stream It
- You Can Now Stream Britain's Most Popular Home Design Show on Netflix