The Stunning, Tool-Free Bed Frame That Was Almost Too Easy to Assemble (It’s a Must-Have for Frequent Movers!)
Aside from taxes, there’s one other major inevitable part of life: moving. While those of us in big cities like New York City do it more often than others, it’s a pain in the you-know-what regardless of whether you do it once a year or once every five years. And if you’re trying to save some money like me, you’ll often try to disassemble and reassemble your furniture on your own. In my most recent move last year, I left it to the movers because I’d reached my breaking point. But after they put together my bed frame, which has been moved across the country twice and in various other moves, it immediately was a squeaky mess. Some screws went missing and the movers simply didn’t put it together the way I would have, and the noisiness was keeping me up at night. So, it was time to finally upgrade my cheap bed frame of around five years. I knew exactly what I wanted: The Thuma Bed.
A Quick Look at The Thuma Bed
- Available in three wood colors
- No tools required to assemble
- Assembles in minutes
- Can choose no headboard, a wooden headboard, or the PillowBoard
- Greenguard Gold Certified
Design Features That Stand Out
In case Thuma’s serotonin-boosting ads haven’t crossed your Instagram algorithm yet (now they will!), let me introduce you to this ingenious product. Thuma’s bed is tool-free. Yup, that’s right — say goodbye to all those nuts and bolts and the time that it takes to figure out how all the parts go together. The wooden frame corners are designed to perfectly fit into each other like a Tetris puzzle — it literally took less than 10 minutes to assemble with the help of my boyfriend (after we unboxed everything). Once you fit the four pieces together, you’ll just need to add in the two screws to the middle support plank (I promise, those are the only screws parts you have to deal with!). Then, lay the sturdy cushion-coated slats on top, put your mattress on top of that, and you’ve got a stunning platform bed in minutes. I’ve never had a platform bed, but now I’m never going back.
The Thuma Bed comes in every size from Twin to California King (including Twin XL!), and you can shop it in three wood colors: Walnut, Natural, and Espresso. The Bed starts at $1,095 if you just get the frame, and goes up to $1,965 if you get the wooden headboard.
How It Performed
TL;DR: This just might be the last bed I ever need. Between the easy purchasing process, fast delivery, and painless setup, this piece of furniture is now my favorite in my apartment. Most importantly, it’s super sturdy, so squeaking is in the past. One feature I love is that you can buy The Thuma Bed with or without a headboard. I opted for the PillowBoard in Light Linen, but you can also get a wooden headboard. The PillowBoard is also available in two other linen colors, and you can also buy other covers to easily switch up your bed’s look. I’ve got my eyes on the velvet version because unfortunately, my playful kittens already did a bit of damage on my pretty headboard. Tip: many kitties don’t like to scratch velvet because it’s less grippy than other fabrics, so I want to add this style to my cart next!
What I Loved
- The low-profile design instantly made my tiny studio feel more spacious, and I love that the headboard simply sits on top of the bed — no drilling or tools required.
- The bed has a higher clearance underneath than my old bed, so I can actually use the under-bed storage space. Now I’m in search of some good under-bed storage so I can take advantage of my new storage area that’s perfect for extra linens or seasonal clothing.
Good to Know
Thuma’s products are also Greenguard Gold Certified, which means they’ve gone through testing for chemicals and have been proven to meet some of the world’s most intense third-party emission standards. Plus, the sustainable materials are meant to last so you don’t have to repurchase a bed every few years, and their packaging is made with recycled materials.
Should You Buy The Thuma Bed?
- This bed is a must-have for frequent movers (or those that just despise assembling furniture)
- There are multiple headboard options available to meet your needs, or you can opt for just the bed frame
- The bed frame has ample clearance from the floor, so you can take advantage of the under-bed storage