Dehlia's bathroom from our Small Cool 2009 contest is one of our favorite examples of small space put to good use. At just 4 x 6 feet, it's a lesson in quality over quantity, and it (and other bathrooms from the archives) offer tips for making the most of a closet-sized space.
- A cutaway niche in the shower eliminates the need for a cumbersome shower caddy.
- Small wall-mounted or pedestal sinks free up floor space.
- Like any small space, bathrooms benefit from editing.
- Invest in details that you love, like lux towels or a great soap dispenser.
- Tile is an opportunity to set the tone of your bathroom with great color and texture.
- If you're renovating, be willing to sacrifice size (like a big tub) for quality (like a well-designed shower).
- If you rent, use details like paint, lighting, and textiles to improve your space.