Top 10 Task Lights
We just recieved this question from Paul, who’s moved back up to Yale, and it gave us the notion to start a Top 10 list for this crucial category:
I’m getting my office set up, and I’m at the point where I need a desk light. I love the ones we used at AT (see pic below) because they were below eye level, cast tons of light on the work surface, and didn’t look like they cost an arm and a leg. I figured I’d try to track one down for my desk. Any recollection of where they came from?
Infortunately, the ones he remembers are the top ones on our list:
- Crate & Barrel ($60): Awesome Black shaded style that they no longer make. May come back, however (see pic below).
- Tertial Worklamp from Ikea ($7): Where it all began – interpreted by Ikea.
- Tolomeo from Artemide by M. De Lucchi & G. Fassina ($340): A classic non-halogen solution
- Diffrient Task Light ($265): Highly rated in this year’s ID product survey. Moves incredibly well and uses mini-flourescent which doesn’t heat shade.
- Tizio Lamp by Richard Sapper ($237): Another classic, this one from the 70’s – reminiscent of Darth Vader.
- Lester Office Lamp by Vico Magistretti ($1020): Just plain beautiful and rotates 360 degrees.
- Flos Kelvin T Adjustable Table Lamp by Antonio Citterio ($260): The nicest update on the pantograph arm we’ve seen yet.