A sleeper sofa is one of the trickiest furniture purchases you can make because you want it to be comfortable to sit on, but also to sleep on. Finding a sleeper sofa that's comfortable, attractive and fits your budget is a true challenge — which is why we've put together this guide to the best sleeper sofas on the market. We considered looks, price, customer reviews, and even examined a few of the designs in person. Here are our top picks.
Every week we bring new products into our "test lab" and have the whole office vote on their favorites, based on quality, appearance, and price. The winners become the Top Picks of our Annual Guides, which showcase the best products of the year.
Maxwell Ryan, our Founder & CEO, chooses his own Top Pick as well, and demonstrates his favorites in our Annual Guide videos and weekly Instagram story series. Come back every Thursday for a new Annual Guide and Maxwell's Top Pick Instagram story!
Our Top Pick
Our overall top pick is a compact size, modern design, and has a great price. The Allston we tested is 71", but it also comes in 77" and 64", plus a twin sleeper chair at 49". With a seemingly endless number of swatches to choose from, as well as different arm widths and leg sizes, this sofa is fully customizable. It's also super convenient and easy to use — the whole process of opening the bed and adjusting the cushions takes 30 seconds (we counted!).
Classic tufting paired with a modern pale leg, the Winslow folds down into a full bed to accommodate guests. The arms are removable if you have a particularly tall guest or can stay if you want to provide a partial headboard. Not digging this cream color? It also comes in gray, mottled black, and lavender.
This sleeper sofa is the mature (and better quality) version of a futon - perfect for small spaces. The back simply folds down to create a queen-sized bed, a much quicker process than with most sleepers. A storage sling under the seat keeps sheets and blankets close at hand.
Compact, comfy, and relatively affordable, this sleeper sofa scores high on all fronts. It's fully customizable with a wide range of color and upholstery options to choose from, so you can easily make it work in pretty much any space.
So many sleeper sofas have very boxy silhouettes, but this English roll-arm offering from Clad Home breaks through that mold. All the sofas from the brand have the option of being turned into a sleeper for an additional $500, so if this traditional frame isn't for you, there are tons more to choose from!
Recommended by readers, this sleeper from CB2 is stylish and versatile. At 78" it's not as compact as some of the others, but its sleek and modern design ensures that it won't feel overwhelming in your space.
Find Sleeper Sofas Near You In Our Marketplace
Readers love the top quality and decent pricing of La-Z-Boy sofas, but this one may be the very best in the sleeper category. Ultra comfortable and customizable, this sofa also comes with matching accent pillows (included in the price!).
This sleeper comes with little to complain about: contemporary design, easy access, and even a memory-foam-topped mattress. Reviewers seem to absolutely love the Sloan, with the majority praising its comfort and style.
We couldn't resist this throwback to the classic tufted sofa - in velvet! The Chester has a split back to allow for individual reclining, also making it super easy to turn into a double bed.
Made entirely in the U.S., this sleeper from West Elm delivers on all front. As a sofa it's super cozy, with loose cushions that are the same height as the back. As a bed it's just as comfortable, with a high-density memory foam mattress that will keep you cool all night.
Another reader favorite, this sofa bed from Macy's has no springs, no bar, and no gap at the head of the bed.
This pick from Gold + Williams is modern, clean, and about as luxurious as you can get with a sleeper sofa. At 79" it's not as small as some of the others, but the high quality makes it more of a true sofa investment anyway.
For a different look, check out the Soho from The Sofa Bed Store. It's an ideal statement piece that has deep seats, a 10" mattress, and an included wooden arm tray. Plus, it can taken apart for easy delivery and moving.
Another great statement sofa from The Sofa Bed Store, the Movie Night also has deep seats and a plush 10" mattress. The midnight blue color fits with pretty much any style, and, like the Soho, it can easily be taken apart for seamless delivery.
The largest pick on our list, this sofa from Restoration Hardware looks and feels like a dream. The rounded English arms and large loose cushions give it a more relaxed feel, and the top of the queen bed can be tilted forward to make a prime reading position.
Find Sleeper Sofas Near You In Our Marketplace
Tips for Buying a Sleeper Sofa
- Be realistic about sizing. Make sure you know exactly how much space you have to accommodate not just a sofa, but a pull-out bed. Plenty of sleeper sofas come in a variety of compact sizes so you can be sure to find one just right for your space.
- Check for quality. When it comes to sleepers, the frame is key. If you have a wooden frame, make sure it's been kiln-dried - kiln drying removes moisture from the wood and prevents cracking or warping. And of course, make sure to test out the mattress for comfort! This is where customer reviews really shine.
- Look for a smooth open-close mechanism. Good quality sleepers should have a mechanism that allows you to open and close the sofa part in one smooth motion. Be on the look-out for any squeaks or sticking, and make sure all parts are properly installed.
Our Best Sleeper Sofa Posts:
- The Best Sleeper Sofas for Small Spaces
- Reviewed: The Most Comfortable Sofas at Interior Define
- Your Overnight Guests Will Thank You: 10 Sleeper Sofas Under $500
Other Good Resources:
- The 7 Best Sleeper Sofas to Buy in 2018 — The Spruce
- What is the Best Sleeper Sofa and Best Sofa Bed – 2018 Reviews and Guide — Tiny Spaces Living
- A Complete Guide To Choosing The Best Sleeper Sofa For Your Home — The Sleep Judge
- Top 10 Best Sleeper Sofas & Sofa Beds in 2018 — Industry Standard Design
Re-edited from a post originally published 1.12.15-NL