We're always suckers for a well-designed app, but ones that add that touch of retro vintage certainly take the cake. Here's a few of our favorite iPad apps over the past few months that truly combine that old school aesthetic with creative possibilities using new tech. Our full round-up and app descriptions, after the jump!
OUR RETRO ROUNDUP:
1) Stereolizer literally transforms your iPad into a vintage, 1980's radio-cassette player, allowing you to record those mixtapes like back in day from over 6000 online radio stations. All this for $2.
2) Flip Clock App for iPhone upscaled to iPad for $0.99.
3) FlipTime XL offers date, time, alarm and even holiday designation on the calendar for a $1.99.
4) Korg iMS-20 for iPad puts classic synth twist on your Apple iPad. It's expensive though - $15.99 for this bad boy.
5) While the 76 Synthesizer app is still in the development phase, it's downright one of the sexiest virtual synthesizer interfaces we've seen for the iPad. Hopefully it'll be released soon so we can get our hands on some faux analog goodness.
6) Camera+ is a sweet detailed vintage camera app that adds more functionality to Apple's built-in camera than you can shake a stick at. We're talking touch focus, exposure, light adjustments, the works. All for an affordable $0.99.
7) Hipstamatic, a collective favorite, also provides some sweet vintage photo filters for your iPad camera. Available for $1.99.
8) Probably one of the most badass mashups hits the iPad with PongVaders Max. Here, you can challenge friends locally with Pong reflectors and projectiles (with powerups!). Good fun, set to arrive very soon.
Let's face it. Retro is in. And while it may be pushing the limits trying to get old school to work new shiny tech, we feel the integration speaks well to a generation who's never had the chance to play with the "older toys" baby boomers and folks in the 80's and 90's grew up with.
Got a recommendation to add to our roundup? Let us know!