Not every vintage item is a DIY project waiting to happen. Here are the top 10 vintage styles to watch for in 2011.
Pictured above from left to right, top then bottom.
1. Skeleton Keys - Old keys, from prints to pillow fabrics, are popping up along with unique DIY transformations into jewelry, hooks, and stencils.
2. Geometric Shapes & Florals - Patterns on furniture, bedding, and walls are inspired by combinations of old world charm and 80s geometric shapes to make mixtures of subtle patterns with bold accents.
4. Cast Iron Animals - From miniature sets to life-size renditions, cast iron animals are coming back from the countryside.
5. Tea Time - From unique tea cups and kettles to tea inspired art, tea time is back. The sets made in England are traditionally the most valuable (not to mention the prettiest).
6. Large Letters - Reclaimed wood words and metal letters are popping up everywhere, along with old woodblock letters.
7. Metal Lunchboxes - Not just for kids, vintage metal lunchboxes come in solid colors, plaids, and floral patterns with matching thermoses.
8. Vintage Postcards - From framed wall art to fabric and wallpaper, look for hand drawings or black and white photographs.
9. Chevron Striping - This pattern is popping up on purses, pillows, and even trashcans. From subtle two tones to bold colors, the Chevron stripes can be very versatile. This pillow was made by VidaStyle on Etsy.