- Lincoln, NE
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- There is a lot I love about our small 2-bedroom apartment: good natural lighting and a good, open layout to start. It's also easier to clean and decorate and keep an eye on the kids. We chose it especially for its location –- my husband walks to work, my daughter's school is just down the street, and the view out our front windows is a park with a tree-filled sprawling grassy area. Most of all, I love that it encourages us to live simply with purpose where we are -- simple green-inspired decorations and intentional use of space. It reminds me that I don’t have to keep up with the Joneses to be happy.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- We're always growing in creating a successful small space. The best of what I've learned so far:
1. Keep it simple. We choose only the essential furniture and simple décor. Leaving open shelf-, wall-, and floor-space helps our home not feel too cluttered or claustrophobic, with just enough details to make it feel homey.
2. Be intentional.We slowly planned the layout and décor of each room on purpose. We do yearly Home Cures/Simplifying Home and avoid impulse buys. Living on purpose generally lands us closer to where we want to be, at home and in life.
3. Enjoy contentment. We're happy with what we have rather than always searching for newer, bigger, or better. We're happiest when we simply enjoy our side of the fence, weeds and all. Our home will always be changing, as our family grows or we move or change styles. And that's the beauty of home -- it is what you make it, and it's always "home" before it's ever perfect.