Ever want to know what goes on in Apartment Therapy contributors' heads? And in our homes? Well, here you go: Alison Gerber, one of our team of writers, comes clean about her apartment, her secret DIY phobia, and her feelings about that candle.
1. My apartment is really small. I know we post a lot of photographs on Apartment Therapy of houses over 1,000 square feet. Or 2,000 square feet, even! But I'm still living with my husband and two kids in a 600-square-foot apartment. We get along here fine, but sometimes we dream about one day moving to a place that has just one extra bedroom. However, for the next two years at least, this is home.
2. My apartment gets messy. Kids live here! I live here! And sometimes priorities need to shift. I'd love to end every day with a neat and tidy house, but sometimes the neighbor needs me to babysit, or I'd rather hang out at the park... and you know what? I think that's okay.
3. I have DIY projects I've been waiting to finish since 2010. 2010, people! I have shelves that I've been meaning to hang that are still wrapped in plastic, cushion covers that still need to be sewn. One of these days I'll get around to them, right?
4. I have an irrational fear of drilling holes in walls. This could explain the unfinished DIY projects.
5. I agreed with y'all about that rabbit skin teapot cozy.... Come on, you know the one I'm talking about. It was pretty bad.
6. ...But I'm a fan of "the candle". I know it was insanely expensive but have you ever smelled a super amazing, luxe candle? I'm with Maxwell on this. There is a difference. And sometimes, just getting one really precious thing is worth it. I have a super expensive dust pan and brush I requested at Christmastime—my husband thought I was mad—but every time I sweep with them, it is so satisfying.
7. Sometimes I can't finish the January Cure either. You know how you power through the first week and then suddenly you need to clean your entire kitchen, or actually purchase something, or make a really hard decorating decision and you just can't do it anymore? Yup, been there.
8. Sometimes I make decorating decisions I regret. White couch with toddlers? Check. Bought something on-trend only to have it feel utterly off-trend three months later? Check. Curtains that don't match the rug, or anything else for that matter, but can't be returned? Check. I suppose I could beat myself up about all this, but I think everyone who cares about decorating—and takes risks—has regrets from time to time.
9. I swear to myself my house won't be overly-furnished with IKEA, and then I go to IKEA and I buy all the things. Why does this happen to me? Every. Time.
10. I read all your comments. And I love them all. Even the snarky ones. Yes, you know who you are. I'm thankful and happy to be writing for you.