15 Unexpected Valentine’s Day Date Ideas
Finding a creative way to spend Valentine’s Day has the added benefit of avoiding the crowds at overbook restaurant and florist shops. The best way to show your sweetie you love them? Think outside the box and get creative. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Get dressed up. Book tickets somewhere you might not usually go and put your fancy pants on. Try the local ballet, symphony or theater.
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
2. Do something creative. Attend a paint night or take a DIY class, you’ll both walk away with a memento from the night.
3. Get cooking. Take a cooking class then head home and make dinner in together.
4. Get physical. Go for a hike, try kayaking, or take a bike ride. Added bonus, exercise releases endorphins and you get to enjoy the outdoors together.
5. Get an adrenaline rush. Do something that scares you, if you’ve always wanted to skydive or go climbing try it out together (just make sure your partner is on board first.)
7. Learn to dance. Don’t know how to dance? Perfect, you can learn. Try out a class, be it ballroom, salsa, swing or square dancing. It’s fun and a great way to learn to work together.
8. Take a tour. Instead of dining out, try a food tour—it’s a meal and activity rolled into one.
9. Get a new perspective. Find out where the best views in your city are and make it a date. San Francisco has Twin Peaks and Los Angeles has the Griffith Observatory—bonus points if you pack a picnic.
10. Get lost. Grab a guide (or make your own) and go explore a part of town that you’ve never spent time in.
11. Get away. Book a weekend away, but look for creative lodging. You can stay in a yurt, a treehouse, a boat or even a wagon for something more adventurous, Airbnb has a whole section devoted to unique options.
12. Dwell on the past. Revisit places that were a part of your shared history, take a walk, grab a glass of wine or visit the restaurant where you had your first date. You can even have a custom map made on Etsy.
13. Do good. Take the day to volunteer together. You can visit Volunteer Match to get matched up with a cause you both care about.
14. Have a game night. Pick a couple of favorite board games (even better if they are from your childhood), set out some snacks and a bottle of wine. “Sorry!”
15. Find a new way to explore. Try exploring a favorite place in a new way. Take a train ride through the Redwoods, go horseback riding, take a harbor cruise or even go for a hot air ballon ride in wine country.