This weekend, on a thrifting binge, my partner-in-design-crime, Anne, found the most gorgeous pair of stools, upholstered head to toe in an amazing vintage fabric: a yellow weave with a kind of Navajo-inspired chevron. Back at Anne's house, sadly, we just could not seem to make the stools work. They went back to the store, but I went in search of some upholstered stool inspiration.
It's not that I'm really hoping Anne will run out and snatch up the stools again; the yellow, ultimately, wasn't right for her living room either. But stubbornly, I won't let those stools defeat me. Surely there were a hundred ways we could have made them work in the room... or maybe just five little ways?
• 1 A pair of stools can be used to form a nice corner vignette around a coffee table, perfect for intimate conversation.
• 2 Stools look fabulous at the end of a simple bed, and they're practical, too, for holding extra blankets and pillows, providing a place to remove shoes, and so on.
• 3 Upholstered stools and small ottomans can be great in lieu of a coffee table or an occasional table. Add a tray so you've got a play to set down drinks.
• 4 Two stools tucked under a console table look pleasingly symmetrical, and can be easily moved out into the room for bonus seating.
• 5 Anne's stools were shorter than this bench, but the idea of tucking a pair of stools beneath a window as a makeshift window seat is a lot of fun.
What do you say, Anne? Are the stools worth yet another trip out to the Marina??