You should have a strong grasp of design for the web, including an understanding of technical constraints and capabilities (e.g., differences in widely used browsers and devices and relevant design considerations); and at least two years of professional experience in a web (and/or mobile & app) design role.
You will be joining our newly formed “features” squad. As a member of this squad, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of the visual and user-experience design of a mix of large new products and core product enhancements.
- Work closely with the engineering team to produce all visual designs and UX details for the squad’s work
- Work closely with the product manager in the product design process to refine product direction & design, including development of design prototypes, mockups, and other interim assets, as needed
- Maintain and update design aspects of existing features
- Coordinate with designers on other squads and in other departments to maintain a consistent visual voice across all products
Qualities & experiences that we are looking for:
- Experience writing code in an continuous delivery engineering organization (e.g., comfortable with html/css, basic templating systems and a basic git workflow)
- Experience working in a startup or digital media company; and in an agile & highly collaborative and experimental environment
- Awareness of current trends and discussions in the field of web design
- A demonstrated interest in our areas of editorial coverage
- You will also actively collaborate with your design counterparts throughout the organization (your product team counterpart on our site layout squad; our creative services team; and editorial art directors) to ensure a consistent visual voice in all our design work.
Our engineering & design teams work remotely. We all wear many hats and maintain a collaborative and supportive environment. You may work remotely or in our New York City office, however you must be able to work effectively with a remote team and coworkers. Excellent communication skills and self-direction in this context are critical for success.
To apply, contact Vanessa Warlow. Provide a résumé and a well-crafted cover letter outlining how you fit into the role as described. In addition to your cover letter, résumé and links to relevant additional work to consider (including portfolio, blog, twitter account, GitHub profile, etc), please include:
- Your code editor of choice?
- What is your go-to source for inspiration?
- What is your primary app for layout and comping?
Candidates must be located and legally able to work in the US. No recruiters or agencies.