A lot of factors go in to picking the city where you are going to settle down and one is often the size. Big city living or small town dwelling often tops the list of where to set up your home. Whichever way you go, keep in mind that weekend getaways will give you the perfect opportunity to try on other size cities. Los Angeles may be spread out but it certainly is big and we enjoy sneaking out of town on the weekends to check out small towns. Check out 7 of our favorite small town getaways in Southern California.
1) Santa Barbara, CA. About 2 hours north of Los Angeles, this smaller city has mountain ranges and ocean views with tons of color inspiration. Great food and shops, consider checking out Livingreen to gather some design styles for your home.
2) Los Olivos, CA. Just a few minutes north of Santa Barbara, this small town in wine country is quaint and sweet. Wine tasting rooms dot the main street and offer small space solutions in their own right, like using mirrors to make the small spaces expand. Check out our fave tiny wine room, Carhart, for great wine, good people and some pretty wine glasses to take home.
3) Encinitas, CA. 90 minutes south of Los Angeles, this sleepy beach town full of surfers and amazing cliff side views and has a main street with great food, street fairs and our fave outdoor lifestyle store, Gardenology.
4) Solvang, CA. Near Los Olivos, this Danish town mixes old and new style. Here you can find great food, small home shoppes and wine tasting rooms. We often pick up some great home decor accents in Solvang.
5) Oxnard, CA. This small city can be accessed by the beach road or the 101 freeway and has a gorgeous marina with pretty homes perfect for inspiration. The calm bay meets the sea and has farmer's markets, cute shoppes and small town friendly nature.
6) Palm Springs, CA. It's true. It's hot here in the summer but still a fun 2 hour getaway with pretty views of the desert landscape. Find bigger name stores, like Trina Turk Residential, and hip hotels, like the newly opened Ace Hotel. Also find local spots like snack shacks.
7) Big Bear Village, CA. Known for skiing in the winter and lake swimming in the summer, Big Bear lake is a sweet spot to spend a weekend getaway in a small town. Friendly people amidst tall trees and fresh air, the color and textures alone make for great design ideas for your own space.
What are your favorite small town getaways?
Check out more travel ideas from Apartment Therapy: