Weekend Project: Easy 30-Minute DIY Felt Storage Bin
This January I am attempting to embrace the way I actually live. It’s time for me to accept that no matter how organized my craft supplies are, regardless of the many bins and drawers all labeled in detail, I will always have a loose pair of scissors and a few bits and pieces of an ongoing project sitting on the table next to my favorite chair. So I’ve made a quick, pretty little storage bin to corral all of those bits that (try as a might!) are always around.
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
This quick lined felt storage bin is simple straight line sewing, a perfect project for a beginner. The use of sturdy wool felt and heavyweight fabric gives the bin body without the added step of adhering interfacing. The whole project took me less than half an hour!
What You NeedFor one 7.5″x5″x3″ lined wool felt bin.
- 1/2-yard wool felt for exterior of bin
- 1/2-yard heavyweight fabric (ex. upholstery, duck cloth, canvas) for bin lining
- thread to coordinate with wool felt
- straight pins
- sewing machine
1. Cut one 11-inch by 14-inch piece of felt and one 12-inch by 15-inch piece of heavyweight lining fabric.
2. Cut a 3-inch square out of each corner of the felt piece and a 3.5-inch square out of each corner of the heavyweight fabric piece.
3. Starting with the felt, pin the edges left by the removed square pieces together, and sew using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Repeat with the remaining three corners of the felt and all four corners of the heavyweight fabric, making sure to pin the heavyweight fabric so that the right side of the fabric will be on the inside of the box. Press the heavyweight fabric seams open.
4. Fold the top 1/2-inch of the heavyweight fabric down towards the outside (so that it will be sandwiched between the felt and the lining). Slide the heavyweight lining fabric into the felt, matching the seams, and pin in place. Sew around the top of the bin using a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
Enjoy your new handmade storage bin!