Weekly Calendar: July 30 – August 7
- The Container Store
Favorite solutions sale – up to 30% off on selected items
Where: Sixth Avenue between 18th & 19th
- Oriental Furnishings Warehouse
20 year anniversary sale on furniture, antiques, porcelain & decor
- Stickley Audi Summer Sale Mission Oak, Craftsman, and cherry and mahogany classics on sale
- Felissimo Design House Up to 90 percent off everything
- Mitchell Gold
40% off club chairs, sectionals, decorative pillows, and other home furnishings
Where: ABC Carpet & Home, 888 Broadway, at 19th St., 2nd fl., 646-602-3381.
- Martha Stewart’s Catalogue for Living Tag Sale
Up to 70% off selected items
Where: at www.marthastewart.com
Where: 160 5th Avenue, 212.337.0700
When: 7/26–7/31 (Mon.–Sat. 11am–6pm; Fri. 11am–8pm).
Where: 10 W. 56th St., 212-247-5656
- MoMA Summer Sale
Up to 70% off selected items
Where: online and at MoMA QNS 33 Street at Queens Blvd.
Long Island City, Queens
- Moving Sale Saturday, July 31 12 – 6pm, E92nd & 2nd
- Moving Sale – 70’s and Broadway – furniture, electronics, etc...
- Moving Sale, Open House, Furniture (Ikea) this SAT & SUN – Astor Place
- Lope Along Over to our 13th Street Stoop Sale
- OPEN HOUSE – MOVING SALE THIS SATURDAY on 20th and 1st Ave.
- Fantastic STOOP SALE!- 416 Henry (@Baltic) – This SAT, July 31, 10AM
- A Wrinkle in Time
The heavenly bodies of Lee Bontecou’s parallel universe, at MoMA.
Much has been made of Lee Bontecou ‘s “disappearance”—a long hiatus from the art world that began in 1971 and lasted until curator Elizabeth Smith, of Chicago’s Museum of Contemporary Art, began courting the aging sculptor in the early nineties.
- Corvettes to Cuisinarts:
Six Decades of Diversity in Industrial Design
When: May 15 – July 31
Where: Pratt Gallery, 144 West 14th Street
- International Papillion Meetup
When: Sunday, July 31
- National Kucinich in 2004 Meetup Day
When: Thursday, August 5th
Where: MoMA QNS , 33rd St. at Queens Blvd., Long Island City; 212-708-9400
- At the Ansonia Hotel: A Broadway Landmark Turns 100
On view June 25 through August 16, 2004
Referred to by a member of the American Institute of Architects as “Sophia Loren in the midst of Twiggies ,” Graves and Duboy’s Ansonia has been a crucible of culture and home to some of New York’s most interesting artists and eccentric characters. See also the related walking tours on August 6 and August 13.
- “Counter Culture” at the New Museum of Contemporary Art
July 10 – August 14th
Opening Reception July 9th, 6pm (must be a member….)
“A seek-and-ye-shall-find exhibition for the adventurer in all art lovers, Counter Culture partners contemporary artists with shopkeepers near our future home on the Bowery….”
- Andy Goldsworthy on the Roof
No, this is not news and it will be up until October 31st, but he’s our hero. Part of loving your NYC apartment is loving NYC. And what’s not to love about standing on the roof of the Met in the summertime taking in a work by Goldsworthy? Priceless.
- glowlab: 1:100 exhibition
1 foot of interior space is equivalent to 100 feet of the city…
July 1st – August 27th
527 W. 24th
- Solos: FutureShack
May 14 – October 10, 2004
The architectural prototype FutureShack, designed by Australian architect Sean Godsell, will be constructed in the Arthur Ross Terrace and Garden as part of the summer Solos series.
Cooper Hewitt Museum, 5th Ave. at 91st St.
- Fresh Paint: Skeptics Touch Here
July 1-August 6, 6-8pm
(“fresh” as in “new,” “brash” or “unaffected”) curated by Koan Jeff Baysa and including lot’s of promising artists….
Cheryl Pelavin Fine Arts
13 Jay Street (in TriBeCa between Hudson and Greenwich)
- Exhibit: “The Future-Shaping Generation”
July 1st-August 7th, The Center for Architecture
Sponsored by Metropolis Magazine and Oculus, the publication of the AIA New York Chapter, the exhibit features the work of dozens of emerging architects and designers, including the winner and 17 runners-up of the Metropolis Next Generation Design Competition and the 15 architecture firms profiled in the Oculus Spring 2004 issue “New York Next: Faces of the Future.”
536 LaGuardia Place
More Info: AIANY Calendar…
- Jack Lenor Larsen @ the Museum of Arts and Design
Exhibit runs until August 29th
” The exhibition “Jack Lenor Larsen: Creator and Collector” offers intimate glimpses into the career and collections of the renowned weaver, designer, author, gardener and collector.”
Published: Jul 29, 2004