Weekly Events Calendar: 10.17.05
Art & Design Events…
- Designing and Building Your Own Green/ Environmentally Healthy Home or Apartment
- Course on how dwellers can turn their apartments into green homes–covering topics ranging from energy efficiency to rooftop gardens to lighting and insulation.
- October 18th through November 22nd, 7 – 9 pm
- The Graduate Center of CUNY, and GreenHomeNYC
The Graduate Center, 365 5th Avenue @ 34th St., 212.817.8215
- Electronics Recycling Month
- Don’t throw them away! Guilt-free and effortless! Recycle all your retired electronic equipment
- October 16th, 9am-4pm
- Union Square, North Plaza
- Buckminster Fuller: Philosopher of Shelter
- Learn about Bucky’s early experiments and design philosophy including his work on geodesic domes, and his views on the role of mobile shelter in transforming behavior.
- October 19th, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Center for Architecture, 536 LaGuardia, 212.387.3425
- Red Hook Harvest Festival
- Pick pumpkins, enjoy delicious foods, hear live local music, meet goats and chickens, and celebrate the harvest on Added Value’s Red Hook Farm
- October 15th, 10am – 5pm
- Columbia and Beard St. 347.406.4437
- Harvest Week Prix Fixe celebrations at Restaurants 360 and Ici–through October 15th these restaurants (who use the farm’s produce) will provide special prix fixe menus and donate a portion of the proceeds to the farm
- Municipal Arts Society Walking Tour of Vinegar Hill, Dumbo and Fulton Ferry Landing
- October 15th, 11:00 a.m.
- Meet outside the entrance of the York St. subway station. (Transit: F train to York St.)
- Ninth Annual Dumbo Art Under the Bridge Festival
- On 30-blocks, see up to 1,500 emerging artists!
- Through October 16th
- Dumbo Arts Center Various times.
- Field Experiments in art-architecture-landscape: Hombroich spaceplacelab
- View 14 projects integrating art, architecture and landscape by renowned architects and artists from around the world. Hombroich spaceplacelab is a laboratory for alternative modes of living.
- Through December 31st
- Center for Architecture, 536 LaGuardia Place, 212.358.6111
- Art Billboards
- Alex Katz’s “Give Me Tomorrow” at 40 East 4th St
- Gary Hume’s “Cheerleader” at 55 Houston St
- Lisa Sanditz’s “Tie-Dye in the Wilderness” 343 Canal St
- Extreme Textiles
- Exhibit of over 150 highly-engineered, technical textiles and products
- Through October 23rd
- Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, 2 E. 91st St., 212.849.8400
- Gallerie Illy
- Art, classes, coffee
- Through December 15th
- 382 West Broadway, Soho
- AAF Contemporary Art Fair
- October 27th through 30th
- Pier 92, 52nd Street and 12th Avenue, New York City
Published: Oct 12, 2005