• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM
• Knoll Space Annual Sale
• Nouveau Contemporary Goods Sale
• Sanford Burrows Bedding Sale
• Baker Furniture Sale
• Grange Sale
• Jayson Home & Garden Online Flea Market
• FLOS Sale @ YLighting
• Seltzer Studios Sale
• Crate & Barrel Upholstery Sale
• Creative Classics Furniture Sale
• Palladio and His Legacy @ NBM
• Washington Design Center's Design House
• Shelving Sale @ The Container Store
• The Washington Design Center Sample Sale
• Lotta Jansdotter @ Terrain
• TufenkianOutlet.com Sale
• 2010 Designers' Tent Sale
• Mount Rainier Home & Building Tour
details below the jump…
scroll down for details
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s @ NBM Between 1933 and 1940, during the bleak years of the Great Depression, tens of millions of visitors flocked to world's fairs in six American cities: Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, San Francisco, and New York. The National Building Museum's upcoming exhibition Designing Tomorrow: America's World's Fairs of the 1930s explores how fair designers and planners employed innovative architecture, urban planning, and industrial design as vehicles for promoting a more hopeful vision for the future.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW Washington DC 20001
10/2 - 7/10/2011
• Knoll Space Annual Sale 15% off the MSRP at over 100 Knoll Space retailers in both the United States and Canada. Products are made to order per the customer's specifications and carry standard lead times.
Find a Knoll Space Retailer.
ONLINE: YLiving & DWR.
LOCAL: Vastu | 1829 14th Street, NW Washington, DC 20009, Home on the Harbor | 1414 Key Highway Baltimore, Maryland 21230
9/24 - 10/3
• Nouveau Contemporary Goods Sale Store owners Steve Appel and Lee Whitehead are offering discounts of 20% - 75% on floor samples including chairs, sofas, lighting, and accessories. Nouveau is clearing the showroom floor to make room for new merchandise, so items are available while supplies last. Immediate delivery is available.
Nouveau Contemporary Goods | 514 E. Belvedere Avenue Baltimore, Maryland 21212
9/22 - 10/10
• Baker Furniture Sale Baker's most inclusive sale ever, with savings for the first time on The Pagani Collection, The Andre Arbus Collection, and the latest additions to The Bill Sofield Collection, as well as Spring 2010 introductions. Additional discounts will be given on The Selected Works of Tony Duquette and select styles from The Milling Road Collection. Select styles not included.
All Baker Locations and online
9/3 - 10/12
• Jayson Home & Garden Online Flea Market Chicago's Jayson Home & Garden's annual online Flea Market featuring hundreds of vintage and antique items, mainly sourced from Europe by our two buyers, will be available online for the first time.
10/1: 9am PST
• Palladio and His Legacy: A Transatlantic Journey 31 rare drawings by Palladio from the outstanding collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects Trust. the exhibition examines the development of Palladio's design sensibility through his drawings and his architectural texts. The exhibition also includes detailed architectural models, created and loaned by renowned modelmaker Timothy Richards, which demonstrate the spread of Palladio's architectural theories to America, most notably through the work and influence of Thomas Jefferson and in designs for monumental buildings in Washington DC.
National Building Museum | 401 F Street NW Washington DC 20001
9/2 - 1/9
• The Washington Design Center's Design House The 2010 Design House — The Hall of Fame House — residing within The Washington Design Center, provides lifestyle-conscious consumers an entrée into the world of high-end home décor. This year's eight-room design house will be designed by well-known WDC Hall of Fame Designers.
The Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW Washington DC
5/21 - 12/4
• Shelving Sale @ The Container Store 25% off our entire shelving collection — from customizable modular systems to a simple, single shelf. Plus, save 25% off elfa Installation Service.
In stores and online.
Now - 10/17
COMING SOON IN DETAIL
• The Washington Design Center Sample Sale Shop the region's most extensive and luxurious collection of home furnishings at a deep discount. the sample sale is an opportunity to shop hundreds of high-end items including furniture, rugs, lighting, art and accessories at up to 75% off. Admission is $5, benefiting pediatric oncology programs at the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The Washington Design Center | 300 D Street SW Washington DC 20024
TRADE: 10/7 & 10/8: 9am - 5pm
PUBLIC: 10/9: 10am - 3pm
• Lotta Jansdotter @ Terrain Inspired by her travels and the natural surroundings of her Scandinavian childhood, Brooklyn-based designer Lotta Jansdotter will visit terrain for an afternoon of crafting from her newest book; Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style. Begin the afternoon with refreshments and a rare chance to craft stenciled wool coasters along with Lotta, followed by a talk on making one of her favorite things: apple jam. Afterwards, Lotta will be available for questions and to sign copies of Handmade Living. Cost includes refreshments and all materials for stenciled coasters: $15.
Terrain | 914 Baltimore Pike Glen Mills, Pennsylvania 19342
10/10: 1pm - 2pm
• 2010 Designers' Tent Sale High-end furniture, accessories, fabrics, lamps, window treatments, "designers' mistakes," chandeliers, and much more will be available to the public at bargain prices. Proceeds from the 2010 Designers' Tent Sale will benefit the CFD's unique mission focused on forming leaders for the future with youth leadership clubs and programs that support and strengthen the family.
Center for Family Development | 7007 Bradley Boulevard Bethesda, Maryland 20817 (from I-495 River Road Exit #39)
10/15 & 10/16: 8am - 4pm
• Mount Rainier Home & Building Tour Mount Rainier is celebrating its 100th Anniversarywith a tour of the city's houses and buildings known for renovations that keep the historic nature of the homes, green renovations, and artists that have reworked the huses into work-studio space.
1 Municipal Plaza (34th and Rhode Island Avenue), Mount Rainier, Maryland
10/17: 12pm - 5pm
Send it to us. We publish DC sales and events each Thursday: