Welcome to Milan!
For the first time ever, you’ve got two Apartment Therapy design astronauts in Italy, bringing you the biggest, sexiest furniture fair in the world (as least that’s what we’ve heard). I landed early yesterday morning, and had not slept in two days when I took all these pics all over Milan. I used the strong cappuccinos to keep me upright.
Janel arrives in a few hours from Chicago. This morning — 9:30am — the fair begins, and by the time you read this I will already have been there for hours. Here are a few pics to get you in the mood, and the design will follow.
• The Duomo is at the center of Milan, and this is a photo from its steps looking toward the big tents set up by Il Salone for the press preview on Monday.
• Walking towards the Duomo in the background.
• Milan is also a big fashion center, and the interplay between fashion and design is irresistible (to me).
• Note waterfall of fresh coconut on the left at this corner shop and the International Herald Tribune stand in the rear.
• The Alessi store was having a party surrounding the debut of David Chipperfield’s new folding chair, a range of new CFLs and a room of student work supported by Alessi.
• In an impressive demonstration of storage, Chipperfield’s folding chairs were displayed side by side along the side of the shop, creating a Paul Smith-like colorful stripe effect.
• I snapped this mother rolling her daughter home down one of the many entrances that you’ll find off the main streets.
• I loved spotting this dress through the window.
• Finally, driving home last night, I took a few pics from the taxi, which convey a bit of the mood.