My kids return to school in just about three weeks and I'm feeling the urge to get things planned out so we're all situated when the First Day Of School comes. Here's what I'm doing now to get organized for back-to-school...
- I had my kids' immunization and physical forms sent to me from the doctor's office so they're all ready to turn in to their schools.
- I'm assessing the need for school clothes and shoes. Here in northern Florida, we wear summer clothes pretty much until Thanksgiving, but now is when I start keeping my eyes peeled for stocking-up sales and for closed-toed play shoes.
- I'm coming up with a game plan for school supplies shopping. I think we'll go first thing in the morning to Target one day next week- after I check the house for supplies that we might already have on-hand. I'll make a pre-first-grade mother-daughter date out of it, which may include a stop at the cupcake shop.
- I'm checking backpacks and school lunch supplies, including lunch boxes, lunch bags, and water bottles. I won't buy anything new unless I need to. We have PlanetBox lunch boxes and they are the best and should last a very long time, so we're good on that front.
- I'm working on my schedule. (I've been going though Amy Lynn Andrews's Tell Your Time.) My routine changes drastically between summer and the school year and I've started filling in my calendar for 2015-2016. I use an academic calendar, that goes from August through July because that's how I think of and plan for our years these days. I also sync up my paper planner with my Google calendar.
- This is also the time of year that, as I'm working on my schedule, I like to reassess our whole family calendar, decide on what activities we will or will no longer participate in, etc.
- Following the "budgeting" of my time, I like to have a big-picture financial budget meeting with my husband. You all know I can't say enough good things about YNAB for helping to stay on top of the finances.
- Not yet, but soon, I'll start getting us all back on a school-days-friendly sleep schedule. We'll all go to bed earlier and wake up earlier than we have been so the first week of school isn't too much of a shock to the system.
How do you prepare for back-to-school?