When I was younger I filled my apartments with a mix of hand-me-down furnishings (not the heirloom kind, the "mom is getting rid of this, do you want it?" kind) and IKEA. As I've grown up and set up home with my husband and kids, I've been able to make purchases and style decisions with a bit more purpose and planning. The question of just what is your decor style often arises when you begin to put a baby's or child's room together. You're often starting with a blank slate - the perfect time to think about, and perhaps reevaluate, your decor style.
At Apartment Therapy we've defined 8 distinct decor styles: Organic Modern, Happy Modern, Classic Glam, New Traditional, Eclectic Collector, Simple Chic, Warm Industrial and Dramatic Modern. For the most part, these apply to nurseries and kid's rooms, too. Getting inspiration from kids' rooms of these styles will not only help you design a space for your own child, but can help more clearly define for yourself what decor style you're drawn to and want to implement in the rest of your home.
Let's get started! The photograph above is a perfect example of the Organic Modern style:
Elements of the Organic Modern style: nature-inspired, handcrafted, eco-friendly, soft, natural fibers, reclaimed woods, serene and calming.
- Unearthing Organic Modern Elements in Children's Rooms
- Sources for Organic Modern Kids' Style
- 10 Sources for the Organic Modern Style
- Decor Category: Organic Modern
Elements of the New Traditional style: untrendy, classic patterns, darker woods, antiques.
Elements of the Eclectic Collector style: vintage, mix and match, collections, kitsch, history, "finds" rather than purchases.
- More Is More: 20 "Eclectic Collector" Children's Rooms
- The Eclectic Collector Style in Kids' Rooms
- Cool Crewel for Eclectic Collector Kids
- Crochet Chic: Granny Blankets in Kids' Rooms
- 10 Sources for an Eclectic Collector Style
- Decor Category: Eclectic Collector
Elements of the Simple Chic style: understated, uncluttered, effortless, minimal color palette, less is more.
- Understated Simple Chic Kids' Rooms
- 10 Simple Chic Children's Rooms
- A Modern Nordic Nursery on a Budget
- Decor Category: Simple Chic
Elements of the Warm Industrial style: metal, wire, warm woods, edgy, often masculine, leather, non-kitschy vintage.