Q: We're shopping for a new bed and hoping to make it more of an investment piece (not that we have a ton of money, but in the $2,500 or lower range). I love natural wood in interesting shapes, but have realized after staying in hotels how much I like having an upholstered headboard. So our wish list is as follows:
- Organic modern in style, with a wood frame that's visible (and preferably in a lighter wood, like natural oak or cherry)
- Upholstered headboard (leather or fabric)
- No footboard (spouse loves to kick off the blankets on his side)
- Some real height off the floor (e.g. right now we have IKEA Leirvik)
CB2's Drommen is almost perfect, but it's way too low to the ground (and the lack of plugs for the screws on the back is kind of a bummer, since it's meant to stand alone). West Elm's Modern Bed is pretty close but not a match style-wise (especially the wood color/grain) and not quite as tall as we'd like. (This is probably where we'll end up if we can't find anything else)
I'd love to see if a custom furniture maker is even close to our price point, but it's kind of hard to track down someone doing this style (live in the Baltimore area). —Sent by J.D.
Editor: Thanks, J.D. Any Baltimore folks out there with a furniture maker they love? Organic Modern enthusiasts with tips? - thanks!
• Have a question for our community? Send us yours with a photo or two attached (questions with photos get answered first).