Where Do I Start with Home Remodeling Plan?

Where Do I Start with Home Remodeling Plan?

Regina Yunghans
Oct 25, 2013

Q: My wife and I are thinking about an interior remodel of our home, but don't know where to start. We have a good idea of what we want done, now we just need to know who to call first to really start planning it out. Contractors? Home improvement guys? Architects? Structural Engineers?

We'd like to turn a full wall into a half wall in order open up the main area of our house (living room and dining room):

We have a 1940s Cape Cod in northern New Jersey. We love the house and the neighborhood, but now that we have two small children, things are feeling cramped. We think that opening up that wall will make things feel bigger and more roomy, especially when family and friends stop by.

Sent by Jason

Editor: Jason, I might be biased, but I would call an architect. They are trained to help you solidify your ideas and bring them to fruition. Chances are that if calling an architect is your first call, it will be one of very few calls you'll need to make. They will likely be able to source necessary consultants and contractors for you. Happy renovating! Readers, please leave your suggestions for Jason in the comments - thanks!

• Have a question for our community? Send us yours with a photo or two attached (questions with photos get answered first).

(Image: Faith Durand)

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt