Last summer I fell in love with the natural textures and subtle patterns in the above collection of antique African winnowing baskets, and have been on a search for the best sources ever since. Sadly, I have yet to visit Uganda, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, and Zambia, but lucky for us there are a multitude of fair trade and appealing real deal choices online.
• 1 My inspiration picture from the June/July issue of Interiors Magazine.
• 2 The Tonga Binga Basket from Zimbabwe, sold through Africa Direct
• 3 A Vintage Makenge Basket made by the Mbundu and Losi women of the remote Western Provence of Zambia, fair trade sold through Ananse Village
• 4 A Bukedo & Raffia Bowl made in Uganda, fair trade sold through Baskets From Africa
• 5 Banana Fiber Coil Basket sold through First Choice decor
• 6 Plateau Baskets made by Tonga women living on the highlands of the Southern Province of Zambia, fair trade sold through One World Projects
• 7 Rwandan sisal and sweet grass fruit bowl, sold through Rwanda Basket Company
• 8 A vintage Makenge wedding basket made in Zambia, sold through Cyber Rug
• 9 Winnowing baskets handcrafted in Uganda, fair trade sold through Swahili Imports
• 10 Raffia Striped Basket Black made in Uganda, fair trade sold through Ten Thousand Villages
Image: Interiors Magazine