There is a lot of controversy surrounding the Winter Olympics of 2014, but that doesn't mean you can't use the events as a great excuse to have a winter get together. With two weeks of events starting on Friday, you can plan a party for a date that fits with your schedule.
For the decor, add a few touches of silver and gold and some winter warmth with candlelight and wool blankets. Think about your Christmas decorations that you just put away, and what you have that will feel wintery and festive without the Father Christmas element.
1. Serve up a warm soup or chili in Falconware enamel mugs, £7.99 each
2. Provide more warmth with Faribault Wool Throws from West Elm, $79.99 each
3. Antique Silver Glass Cube, Jamali Home, $23.94 for 6
4. Dansk Kobenstyle 6-quart casserole, Crate and Barrel, $186
5. Create iced vodka shooters with Cool Shooters Ice Tray, Sur La Table, $8.99
6. Morkt Lantern, IKEA, $5.99
7. Swing Bottle for vodka infusion creations, Fishs Eddy, $5.95
8. Gilt Chevron Paper Table Runner, Anthropologie, $36
9. Shimmery Cushion Cover in Copper and Silver, H&M Home, $12.95 each
Keep the menu simple with a warm pot of soup or chili simmering on the stove all night long as guests come and go. Provide a chilled selection of flavored vodkas or infuse your own, introducing some Russian culture. Make sure to also have some warm beverages on hand for the perfect apres ski vibe.
1. White Bean and Chicken Chili from Giada De Laurentis
2. Pork and Green Chile Stew from The Kitchn
3. Easy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons from Ina Garten
4. Winter Squash Soup from Food 52
5. Classic Mac and Cheese from Cowgirl Creamery
1. Vin Chaud from David Lebovitz
2. Carmelized White Hot Chocolate from The Kitchn
3. Infused Vodkas from The Kitchn
4. Mulled White Wine with Pear Brandy from Food 52
5. Hot Toddy from Epicurious
No Olympics party would be complete without stadium classics from Queen and the Star Spangled Banner. The playlist incorporates the host country into the mix with the iconic James Bond song From Russia with Love.