Witty and Unexpected Shelving Ideas
You’ve sorted, donated, recycled, and organized — but what to do with the things you’re keeping that still don’t have a designated spot? Rather than defaulting to a standard shelf, find some DIY inspiration in these creative ideas from past House Tours.
Each of these storage ideas is a smart reminder that you can often create eco-friendly, unique, and functional pieces for your home by using unexpected materials.
1. A corrugated cardboard shelf looks surprisingly stylish and high-end in Chris’ Industrial “Dreamer’s Dream” Loft.
2. A repurposed planter looks sweet in Kelly & Greg’s Chez Glamouramous.
3. Dramatic, vintage organ pipes hold a collection at Sally’s French-Glam Hyde Park Home.
4. Bold Ikat fabric conceals whatever ails this shelf in Adam Hacks in FiDi.
5. Not actually a shelf, but this basket in Meg & Brad’s Student Sanctuary is clever storage nonetheless.