Following February's IKEA exposé in the Economist, the Los Angeles Times now reports: "Ikea is the target of racial discrimination complaints, a heated union-organizing battle and turnover from disgruntled employees. Workers complain of eliminated raises, a frenzied pace and mandatory overtime." Plus, the Furniture Fair kicks off in Milan and Pier One announces their new growth plan. Links and more news below.
DESIGN NEWS OF THE DAY
• Ikea's U.S. factory churns out unhappy workers | The Los Angeles Times
• And the Great Furniture Festival Begins | The New York Times
• Pier One Imports Announces 3-Year Growth Plan | Editor at Large
• David Chipperfield wins the 2011 Mies van der Rohe Award | Architizer
• The Solar Industry Responds to Claims of Supply-Chain Dirtiness | Fast Company