Would you mess with an icon? Twenty top Canadian designers were invited to redesign the classic Vitra Panton Chair. Their designs were auctioned off for charity and displayed at Toronto Interior Design Show 2011 (TIDS11). Throughout the fair, the debate raged: is this project inspiring, disappointing or sacrilegious?
Shown in the Images:
• 1 & 2. chair on a rope by Johnson Chou Inc
• purple chair by Katherine Newman Design; chair with sticks by Commute Home Inc.
• chair with sticks by Commute Home Inc. (also shown in Image 3)
• 4 & 5. fronts and backs of pink cutout chair by Karim Rashid; chair with red ribbon by Figure 3; silver and black fabric chair by Taylor Hannah
• chair with black elements by Rollout
• red triangle by Jane Lockhart; chair with designers' signatures by Sarah Richardson
• green print on white chair by 3rd Uncle Design
• chair with stool by Hambly & Woolley INC; chair with x's and o's by Rollout (also shown in Image
• red heart chair by Bruce Mau Design
• white chair with wood by Prototype Design Lab
• brown, wood-stain chair by L'Atelier
• an Eames-inspired Vitra Panton chair by The Design Agency
• 14 & 15. multiple chairss on view
See a full list of the twenty designers and their chairs at Dinner by Design.
Images: Rachael Grad