As of today, Christmas is fast approaching and we're in the middle of Hanukkah festivities — it's still not too late to tackle a few more holiday DIY's before everything is said and done! These eight DIY Holiday Ornaments won't break the bank or absorb all of your time!
We wait until the last minute to decorate for the holidays, and we also don't believe in spending an arm and a leg on decorations. We have a few ornaments that we purchased from IKEA last year, but we're looking for something a little more unique, personal and fun.
We're pretty sure Safari, Whimsical dioramas, and Puzzle Piece ornaments fall into the unique, personal and fun categories. Each and every item you will need for any of these DIY projects can be found in stores you would already find yourself shopping in.
One of our favorites out of the bunch is the Snowy Balloon Ornament from Martha Stewart. Here's how you can make one of your own:
Tools and Materials:
Ball of cotton string
Snowy Balloon Ornaments How-To:
1. Blow up the balloon until it's slightly smaller than your fist. Tie the end of the cotton string to the end of the balloon.
2. Thin the glue slightly with water and brush some on the bottom of the balloon to tack down the string. Begin wrapping the string vertically around the balloon. When 3/4 of the balloon is covered vertically, begin wrapping the string horizontally. To change direction, wrap the string around the tied-off end of the balloon. Continue until 3/4 of the balloon is wrapped horizontally.
3. Cut the string and secure it with a dab of glue. Brush the watered-down craft glue all over the string-covered balloon. Pinch the top of the balloon with a clothespin and thread the clothespin onto a dowel that you've suspended between two points. Allow to dry for several hours.
4. Once dry, pop the balloon with a pin and remove it, using tweezers, if necessary. Add a loop of metallic thread and brush the balloon with glue again. Working over a bowl, spoon on glitter and set aside to dry.
5. Spray the branch with spray mount and spoon on glitter. Allow to dry. Affix the ornament to the branch.
What's your favorite DIY Holiday Ornament?
&bull DIY Diorama Holiday Ornaments
&bull Snowy Balloon Ornaments
&bull Modern Paper Ornaments
&bull Vintage Jewelry Christmas Ornaments
&bull Puzzled - Creative DIY Gift Tags & Ornaments
&bull Safari Ornaments
&bull Ornament Making Techniques
&bull Christmas Craft: Yarn-Filled Ornaments