I have, I think, always loved cats, but I didn't know it until I had a boyfriend who was allergic, and I realized that if things worked out between us I would never be able to have a cat of my very own. I was surprised by how sad this made me, and surprised when we broke up, so I got a cat, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
My cat, Chloe, and my unicorn
She was with me for about five years, and then last year she got a tumor and died, very suddenly, and my house has never quite been the same since. We talk so much, here on Apartment Therapy, about how to be happier at home. I still love my house, of course, and having a beautiful couch and the best rug and a nice woodburning fireplace all contribute to that, but I still think the best thing I ever did for my home was sharing it with a little furry friend. As a sort of tribute to my Chloe-Pants, here are:
10 reasons living with a cat is the very best.
- A warm kitty is like a small, furry space heater on a cold day.
- Little paws poking under the bathroom door.
- Finding an assortment of cat toys when you vacuum under the couch, as if your friend has left you a surprise.
- Your cat will not judge you for having entire conversations that consist only of 'meow'.
- If you have a lap, you will never watch movies alone ever again.
- Knowing that you are protected from roaches and mice and other tiny vermin.
- Having an alarm clock that sits on your face.
- Seeing the weird things your cat can do with its body will inspire you to go to yoga. (Okay, it may not work for you, but it worked for me.)
- Better than watching funny cat videos on Youtube, because you have your own real, live, funny cat video.
- You know how sometimes you come home and you're sad and you don't want to talk about it, but you just want someone to sit there and be with you? Cats are good at that.
Still not convinced? Maybe you should get a cat.
Have you heard what Nick Jernigan has to say about his cat?
(Image credits: Nancy Mitchell)