I love to browse the thrift shops in my neighborhood, but sometimes find myself stuck on the creative possibilities of an item. I know it has potential but am equally aware that if I don't have a clear cut idea that I want to execute, it will likely end up in a pile in the back 0f my closet. With this in mind, I rounded up a few DIY upgrades for items I come across frequently.
1. DIY Upcycled Vintage Plates from Honestly WTF
Easier than it looks, the addition of a bug motif takes precious floral plates from sweet to seriously cool.
2. Vinyl Quote Globe DIY from No Biggie
The blogger used a Silhouette to cut out the letters, but any pre-made vinyl decal should work just as well.
3. Paint Dipped Brass Candlesticks from Inspired by Charm
While brass candlesticks are beautiful on their own, this DIY gives them a fresh and modern spin.
4. DIY Cake Stand from Green Wedding Shoes
Thrifted finds like this quirky little owl are the perfect way to add character to a handmade cake stand.
5. DIY Thrift Store Art from Scott Erickson Art
This simple but high impact DIY gives thrift store art a second life.
6. DIY Painted Baskets from The Marion House Book
There is always a giant pile of baskets at my local thrift shop and this project has convinced me its time to try my hand at a painted version.
7. Book Letter DIY from Handmade Mood
Turn a pretty vintage book into a monogram with this project (power tools required.)
8. Painted Spot Teapot from Gingered Things
A simple painted handle in a vibrant color is enough to take a white teapot from basic to seriously eye catching.
9. Painted Trophies from Gym Gab Blog
Colorful spray paint transforms trophies into sculptures with a serious dose of quirk.
10. Badminton heart from Blossom Kids
A retired racket is made into wall art with the help of a little embroidery thread.
From the Archives:
- 10 Easy-to-Find Secondhand Staples (and How To DIY These Thrift Store Finds)
- 10 Common Thrift Store Finds (And Ways to Use Them for DIY Projects)
- 5 Ways to Update Thrift Store Art
Re-edited from a post originally published 5.7.15-NT