Chances are good you've dismissed clear plastic furniture covers as tacky, uncomfortable, and best left in the past. But we're here to tell you to take a second look. Here's why:
1. Protection: Just as you use a cover to protect your mattress, you should do the same for other furniture as well. Furniture can be a large investment, so why not extend its life as long as possible? That large blue ink stain will otherwise bother you for years....
2. Resale Value: As buying and selling vintage furniture has risen in popularity over the years, people are starting to realize the benefits of keeping their furniture in mint condition. Vintage Sellers Weekly estimates that a good clear plastic cover can increase the value of a sofa by as much as 40% upon resale. That's money you're otherwise just throwing away.
3. New Design: Unlike the crinkly covers your grandmother used, the new upholstery-preserving shields are BPA-free, nearly invisible and made from soft-touch material to prevent sticky thighs and your rear end's imprint when you stand up.
4. Pet Hair: We are always searching for ways to keep Fido and Fifi's hair and dander off the sofa, and furniture covers are the best idea we've seen. Your lint brush will thank you.
5. Transparency: Unlike traditional slipcovers, the clear plastic kind lets you enjoy your furniture's design. You wouldn't want to wear a shapeless linen sack out of the house, so why put your sofa through a similar experience? Let its clean lines and color shine through!
Tell us, would you consider covering up your heirloom or expensive furniture?
(Image credits: Dabney Frake)