Tea tree oil (or malaleuca if you're fancy) is widely thought to have antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. While many people use it for health & beauty issues, it’s also quite useful around the house. Unlike other household products, it’s also safe and natural.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with water and add a few teaspoons of oil. Shake vigorously and spray to clean and disinfect.
- Laundry Freshener: Add a few teaspoons of pure oil to each washer load, or use a few drops to add scent to dryer balls.
- Mold Fighter: Mix apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil and scrub mold on kitchen and bath tile.
- Insect Repellent: Spray around doorways and windows. The scent will keep insects and bugs away. You can also use it preventatively for lice by adding a few drops to your family’s shampoo.
- Breathing Aid: Add a few drops to the water in your humidifier, and help your breathing and asthma while you sleep.
- Carpet Cleaner: Mix 10 to 20 drops of oil with a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and then sprinkle the mixture on the carpet. Vacuum.
- Natural Deodorizer: Use cotton balls soaked in tea tree oil to remove odors and freshen items and spaces. Wipe down sports equipment, air out old suitcases, or get rid of cooking odors.
- Toothbrush Cleaner: Put a few drops on your toothbrush every once in awhile to get rid of any lingering bacteria.
Just a few words of precaution. Don’t swallow tea tree oil, and discontinue using it if your skin gets irritated from any contact. Be careful if you use it around your pets; you don't want your dog or cat licking up the stuff.
What else have you used it for?