Daylight savings time is a good reminder that it's time to spring clean. But what I don't love about the chore is that once the weather gets nice I want to run outside, not be cooped up at home with rubber gloves and a duster. This month, though, is sort of that sweet spot when I can still justify a day indoors before I start to blow off my apartment for greener, sunnier pastures.
Here, I try to make the process less of a chore with our roundup of best spring-cleaning tips. Take your time, go room by room if you want, and soon enough you'll have your home prepped for the season.
- Dust shelves, blinds, vents, moldings, light fixtures -- anything that collects dust and you usually ignore. Not a fan of dusting? Check out our 10 tips for Dusting to ease the pain.
- Wash your windows with our compendium of window-washing tricks.
- While you're at it, clean window treatments (including your shower curtain) with our tips for caring for curtains.
- Flip your mattress, which is something you should do every season. You'll get more use out of it and you'll sleep better.
- Change your winter bedding to spring, even if it just means storing woolier blankets away. Here's some minimalist inspiration.
- Change your clothes from warm to cool and pack away your seasonal clothes for these unexpected benefits.
- Donate unwanted clothes to one of these 25 places.
- Vacuum and shampoo carpets (here's a green DIY way to do it) and shake rugs/cushions outside. Wax wood floors too.
- Check your smoke detector batteries -- here's all you need to know about smoke detectors. Replace your HVAC air filters too.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet and makeup bag with our guide to expiration dates in the bathroom.
- Organize your paperwork with this helpful advice.
- Clean your computer and TV.
- Clean your deck and furniture (even your indoor/outdoor trash bins) with 5 tools to make it easier.
Have more ideas or tips? Please share below!