Kate's 1950s home had great bones, but the bathroom needed some help. The shower had a full-sized window that leaked, which meant this wasn't going to just be a little redecorating. But with some help from her dad and YouTube, she did it herself:
I ripped off the moldy trim and knocked the window (frame and all) out of the wall into the backyard flowerbed. From there I continued to "gut" the other fixtures, tile and sheetrock sending everything out through the newly created hole in the back of my house. I removed layers of vinyl and plywood all the way down to subfloor and stripped the walls down to the studs to expose the plumbing. My dad helped me hoist the 1950's cast iron tub out the hole into the backyard (where it remains as a bamboo planter). This took a full day of hard work but ahhh- It was so worth it! I now had a blank slate for my new bathroom.
I had designed the layout and started sourcing materials the minute I signed the title for the house. I lived with the old bathroom for 2 months because I was on a budget and needed time to acquire materials. The white subway tile was sourced from craigslist (leftover from someone's larger project), penny tiles (my one splurge) from Lowes, tub and paint from Home Depot, Toilet from Costco and sink/cabinet and fixtures are all from Ikea.
My amazing dad and YouTube were invaluable resources of knowledge for me but I did all the work myself! I worked for a solid 3 weeks every evening after I got home from my day-job and each weekend to finish this project. I grew up around home construction so I had a lot of know-how but it was such a rewarding experience to do a project on my OWN house.
See more over at Neutral Majority.
Thank you Kate!