Name: Benjamin Cottrell
Location: South Loop — Chicago, Illinois
Size: 900 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years — rented
When Benjamin handed me his business card I noticed that the title under his name says Life Stylist. Well if Benjamin can make my life feel as stylish and lux as his home, I'm sold!
The first thing I noticed when I walked into Benjamin's one bedroom apartment was the fabric wall. The chocolate velvet drapes frame Benjamin's bedroom and also wrap around the length of the little hallway. In this lofted space, the fabric was a stylish way to soften up what may have otherwise been a very cold wall.
The crystal chandeliers are in beautiful juxtaposition against the wood beam ceiling. And while hanging the zebra mirror by chains may have been a necessity, it's a look that totally works. In fact, using the chains seem intentional, as if Benjamin was trying to create an industrial glam vibe.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern glam.
Inspiration: High-end luxury hotels.
Favorite Element: Crystal chandeliers hanging from 16' timber wood ceilings. The idea of high glam meeting the elements of a raw loft space.
Biggest Challenge: Hanging a very heavy zebra framed mirror! After realizing the piece would not hold to the drywall, 4 guys had to lift the mirror up and hang it from metal chains off the beams in the ceiling.
What Friends Say: Beautiful, classy, yet very comfortable...I love that!
Biggest Embarrassment: The brick wall along the windows. Although I like the brick, I didn't want to see that much of it, so I hung straight silk panels on either side of the window that go from the ceiling and drop to the floor.
Proudest DIY: Hanging all my pictures and the fabric on the walls.
Biggest Indulgence: My very plush bed, always with white high thread count sheets!
Best Advice: Be daring and bold. I love creating a space people will talk about! Also don't rush into doing something in your home if it doesn't feel right. I lived in my home for 2 & 1/2 years before I felt it was finally "right!" Now I LOVE IT!
Dream Sources: Jayson Home and Garden. I want one of everything!
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• The perfect color for any home, palace white on the main walls.
• Accents walls in truffle brown and matte black.
• Bedroom walls are custom faux finished in a metallic plaster in charcoal gray. I wanted the walls to look like worn leather.
• The bathroom is Ralph Lauren beep blue.
• Marble top table: Create and Barrel
• Hide skin and horn bench: Art by God
• Mirror: Z Gallery
• Fabric: Fishman's
• Sofa: Boston Store Furniture Gallery
• High gloss white coffee table: West Elm
• Sisel rug with black leather trim: Bombay Company
• Crystal chandeliers: Swarovski
• Lucite lamps with black shades: Lamps plus
• 2 armed chrome side lamp: Macy's
• Black wood side table: vintage
• Iron glass top writing desk: Bombay Company
• Black lucite ghost chair- Design within Reach
• Zebra framed beveled mirror: vintage
• Gold Italian rope and tassel beverage cart: vintage (along with the barware on them)
• Black wood cabinet: vintage
• Telescope: Bombay Company
• Leather slipper chairs: Elements
• Brown leather tufted bed: Z Gallery
• Bedside tables: Design within Reach
• Lamps: vintage (grandma's basement)
• Side chair: vintage
• Wood stool with leopard top: vintage
• Faux finished walls to look like warn leather: Kath's Creations
Images: Jason Loper
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.