Name: Lisa Zagumny and Clint Hardison
Location: Cookeville, Tennessee
Size: 1500 square feet
Years lived in: 7 — owned
Clint and Lisa's home appears similar to other homes on their quiet street until you walk in the front door and are greeted with a distinct, colorful palette. They have definitely put their signature on what would otherwise be a very common, and (dare I say?) boring standard house plan.
Drawn to color, texture, and shape, the couple have created a space that is defined, outspoken, and uniquely theirs. They balance the bold wall colors with simple art, organized storage spaces, and a clutter-free existence. Clint and Lisa—and their four cats—exist in a lively space that encompasses their distinct personalities.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Kitsch — mid century and crayola-inspired whimsy with a hint of Scandinavia.
Inspiration: Color, style, texture… anything that reminds me (Lisa) of my grandma's house.
Favorite Element: The layering of colors as you look through the rooms. The colors play off each other adding a sense of depth to a relatively small space. The abstract pattern on the windows from kitty nose prints is our favorite accidental design element.
Biggest Challenge: Builder grade materials. If we replaced everything builder grade, we'd outprice the value of the house, so we had to pick and choose.
What Friends Say: "Love the color" and "What's the floor (kitchen) made of?"
Proudest DIY: The paint job in the study shows our concern for detail. The turquoise Eames chairs in the living room were definitely our best vintage find.
Biggest Indulgence: Flooring. Both the tile and hardwood are favorites. Low maintenance with a really clean look.
Best Advice: Do it for you & choose objects that make you smile. Take your time and instill your energy/vibe/mojo in your home.
Dream Sources: Ebay and vintage stores. Travel is a must—inventory at antique stores reflects regional tastes and styles.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Kitchen : Sherwin Williams - Surfer
• Laundry : Lowes - American Tradition - Mandarin Orange
• Living room : Sherwin Williams - Humorous Green
• Master bath : Lowes - American Tradition - Vessel Gray
• Master bedroom : Lowes - American Tradition - Sphinx
• Guest bedroom : Lowes - Valspar - Eden Prairie
• Guest bath : Lowes - Valspar - Eden Prairie
• Office : Porter Paint - Cloud White, Misty Gray, Pearl Oyster & Tidewater Gray
• Sofa : Sprintz
• Chairs : Eames
• Purple chair and Chest : family pieces
• Coffee table and TV stand : Ikea
• Bookshelves : D2-D2-D2
• Table and Chairs : Heywood Wakefield
• Footlocker : family piece
• Dresser : Heywood Wakefield
• Bed, Chest, and Nightstands : D2-D2-D2
• Furniture : D2-D2-D2
• Desk and Chairs : Ikea
• Secretary Chair : vintage Steelcase
• Kitchen : Magritte reproduction; James Dean - Pete the Cat in Klimt
• Living room : Russell Hess - All the Good Names were Taken; Howard Hull - Exuberance; Tony Mullins - untitled
• Master bedroom : Byron Smith - figure studies in watercolor; Warhol reproduction; Edyta Purzycka - Koci Cheribum
• Master bathroom: Edyta Purzycka - Odpoczynek; Sonja Bingen - Ambrose
• Guest bedroom : Clint's travel photos
• Hallway : gifts from friends & family
• Office : West Elm, Howard Finster - Protection Cat
Thanks, Clint and Lisa!
Images: Sarah Dobbins
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.