1. Blot fresh stain to soak up excess liquid.
2. Sprinkle stained area liberally with salt (but not too liberally or you'll be vacuuming salt up for weeks, trust me on this one).
3. Pour club soda or seltzer water over stained area.
4. Leave soda and salt on the stained area for a few hours or overnight.
5. Re-blot area to soak up excess water.
6. Vacuum area to remove salt.
So far I've used this trick for red wine spilled on a wool rug, coffee spilled on an ivory shag rug, and cranberry juice spilled on a white table cloth (for the table cloth, I used the salt and club soda as a pre-treat before washing it).
As a side note: This technique works best to remove fresh stains, so try to apply salt and soda as quickly as possible.
• Wisdom From Grandma: Non-Toxic Stain Removers
(Image: Julia Brenner)