Name: Ella Grace
Location: Westlake Village, CA
Room Size: 120 square feet
Ella Grace's room is a very special haven for a very special little girl. Creamy walls and neutral rugs are a soothing platform for the myriad of soft pastel fabrics and accessories. Gently old-fashioned but enlivened with on-trend touches, this room glows with handmade goodness.
How would you describe the look and feel of this room?
My goal was to create a playful room without it being overwhelming. Fun and whimsical, but still tranquil enough for me to join in during playtime. I guess I accomplished that because it is one of my favorite rooms to hang out in. The plush rugs helps!
What is your favorite piece or element?
My favorite piece has to be the rocking chair. I usually have horrible luck with Craigslist but when I found this piece I fell in love. It took me 30+ hours to reupholster it, which at 7 months pregnant, was a labor of love. I rock Ella every night before bedtime, which made every hour of work worth it.
What was the biggest challenge decorating this room?
Hanging the pom display above Ella’s crib was more work than I anticipated. For awhile, before Ella was sleeping in her crib, they all hung haphazordly with 3M hooks and earthquake putty. After a few sleepless nights of worrying about them falling into the crib, my husband decided to screw them all into the ceiling.
What do your friends say about the room?
A few weeks after my daughter was born a few friends stopped by to surprise me. Most of them hadn’t seen Ella’s room yet so I gave them a mini tour. They seemed to love it. We ended up sitting on the floor with our babies, talking for hours. They just didn’t want to leave the room. That was a huge compliment to me. I imagine and hope Ella and her friends will do the same in the years to come.
Do you have any advice for parents creating a room for their child?
Take your time and enjoy the process. Whenever I try to rush through a design project it ends up looking too staged. When I slowly let it evolve, I am always happier with the results. There are usually a few unexpected touches that I couldn’t have anticipated or planned for, and they are usually what I love most about the room.
If money were no object, what's your dream source?
Wainscoting paint color: Kelly Moore- Meadowbrook
Wall paint color: Benjamin Moore-Natural Cream
- Crib: Amy Coe Westport Crib (discontinued)
- Dresser: Ikea Hemnes 3 Drawer Chest
- Dresser knobs: Anthropologie
- Bookshelf: Ikea Hemnes Sofa Table
- ELLA letters: Soto Westlake Village
- Grace letters: Anthropologie
- Curtains: Urban Outfitters Waterfall Ruffle Curtains
- Curtain rod: tree branch from our birch tree
- Curtain hooks: Flourish Hooks- Anthropologie
- Rocking chair: Craigslist (reupholstered)
- Rug: Urban Home Remy Rug in Cocoa
- Closet: Ikea PAX wardrobe
- "Wallpaper" in closet: Paper Source
- Closet curtains: Downtown LA fabric district: Michael Levine
- Family photos in frames: Wild Whim Design & Photography
- Laundry bag: Urban Outfitters Ruffled Laundry Bag
- Birth announcement: denadesign on Etsy
- Alphabet poster : Sparkle Power on Etsy
- “You are my favorite work of art.” print: Love Sugar on Etsy
- “You're so easy to love.” print: Love Sugar
- Pendant light: Boots n' Gus
- Accordion lanterns in blue: Martha Stewart
- Large gray pom poms: Prost to the Host on Etsy
- Medium white poms: Martha Stewart
- Yellow pom poms: handmade with tips from the blog Once Wed
- Red pom poms and circle bunting: handmade